FBI response for FOIPA request

Openarms

Registered Users (C)
I have got response from FBI for my FOIPA request.
In first paragraph they say that they did not find any records in the main system.
I am getting confusion with second paragraph that what they are trying to tell.
Can some one clarify it, would appreciate.. below is the letter message

To promptly respond to requests, we concentrate on identifying maim files in the central records system at FBI Headquarters. No records responsive to your FOIPA request were location by a search of the automated indices.

You may file an administrative appeal by writing to the Director, Office of Information and Privacy United States Department of Justice, 1425 New York Ave,. NW Suite 11050, Washington, D.C. 20530-0001, within sixty days from the date of this letter. The envelope and the letter should be clearly marked "Freedom of Information Appeal" or "Information Appeal". Please cite the FOIPA number assigned to your request so that it may be easily identified.

address of FOIPA request

Hi ,

Could you please give me the address (email and address) of FBI to write letter regarding my Name check pending.

Thanks
goudpmk

It simply means they did not find any records for your name in their main file.

The second paragraph is standard statement, and not specifically directed to you.

I have got response from FBI for my FOIPA request.
In first paragraph they say that they did not find any records in the main system.
I am getting confusion with second paragraph that what they are trying to tell.
Can some one clarify it, would appreciate.. below is the letter message

To promptly respond to requests, we concentrate on identifying maim files in the central records system at FBI Headquarters. No records responsive to your FOIPA request were location by a search of the automated indices.

You may file an administrative appeal by writing to the Director, Office of Information and Privacy United States Department of Justice, 1425 New York Ave,. NW Suite 11050, Washington, D.C. 20530-0001, within sixty days from the date of this letter. The envelope and the letter should be clearly marked "Freedom of Information Appeal" or "Information Appeal". Please cite the FOIPA number assigned to your request so that it may be easily identified.

Looks like your NC is cleared based their first paragraph, Usually they dont find any records who are already cleared.

Looks like your NC is cleared based their first paragraph, Usually they dont find any records who are already cleared.

NO, your name check has not necesserely cleared. There is a big difference between NC and FIOA requests. When you send FIOA, FBI searches only the main file, while during NC they also do reference files search using perturbations of your name and date of birth. This is why so many people get stuck in NC while their FIOA comes as "no record": reference file search generates hits that may not even be relevant to to you, but to someone with a similar name, andf FBI has to manually retrieve and research those files. I suggest you google "FBI name chenk" and educate yourself, there is a wealth of information available.

I don't think I am asking how they do name check... yes KoKu1 is right..
But I am confused about the second paragraph. Do they want me file administrative appeal !?@# what the h-word is that???

It's a standard template. Your main record is clear. NC goes against it with addition of all references. Now you can use this response as an attachment to your letter to officials or WOM.

Does "No Record" from FOIPA Request Mean My Name Check is Cleared?

Unfortunately no. FOIPA (Freedom of Information and Privacy Act) requests only search the "main files," while FBI name check requests check both "main files" and "reference files" in the UNI. A "main" file name refers to an individual who is the subject of an FBI investigation, whereas a "reference" is simply a person whose name appears in an FBI file. In addition, FBI name check also uses different orders (first name, last name) and various combinations during the search.

Refer to Web site:

http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/fbi-name-check.php