FBI Fingerprinting and Police report

GCbuzz

Registered Users (C)
I am new to the Forum and this is my 1st Post. I have just started the process of applying for a Canadian PR and do not wish to go thru an agent. I am embarrassed to ask these silly questions but I guess I have to start somewhere. So I seek help from you guys.

I am currently in the US on H1 since 2003. I visited and stayed in the US about 7 years ago when my ex-employer sent me for training for 3 months and I stayed in company rented Condo.

- Do I have to mention this period of stay in my application for a police report / FBI fingerprinting report?

- Do I have to mention this period of stay (3 months) in the US in my Canadian IM 0008 Form for Background check?

- Do I have to mention any address that I lived in (in IM0008) even if the period of stay was less than 6 months?

- I do not clearly understand the process of using the Letter Format for the FBI /Police report as given in the CIC website. I will appreciate help on step by step procedure from anyone who has recently done this FBI / Police report.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

-

Always tell the truth on the application forms. Mention all the places you have stayed in even if it was less than 6 months.

For the FBI clearance just fill in the last 2 address where you have stayed in US.

HOW TO OBTAIN A POLICE CERTIFICATE FROM AUTHORITIES IN THE UNITED STATES

Applicants requiring Police Certificates who are currently present in the United States or who have stayed in the U.S. for six months or more MUST obtain police clearance from the FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION (FBI).

STEP ONE - HAVE A FULL SET OF FINGERPRINTS TAKEN BY A RECOGNIZED AGENCY:

Fingerprints for U.S. record checks should be taken on the FBI FINGERPRINT FORM. Do not contact any FBI office regarding fingerprinting. A Fingerprint Form can be obtained by requesting one by mail from the FBI at the address listed below.

Fingerprints can usually be taken in the U.S. by a LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT. Persons MAY also be fingerprinted at a regional office of the DEPT. OF MOTOR VEHICLES, or from a private organization engaged in the fingerprinting business. The applicant should always specify when making a fingerprinting request that it is required for Canadian immigration purposes.

Applicants appearing for fingerprinting will also need PHOTO IDENTIFICATION, such as a passport. They should also be prepared to provide fingerprinting agents with details including full name, maiden name, any aliases, date of birth, sex, race, social security number, proof of identity, and the reason for requesting fingerprinting (Canadian immigration purposes).

A fee will usually be charged for fingerprinting. Fees vary according to the location where the applicant is fingerprinted.
STEP TWO - SEND FINGERPRINTS ALONG WITH A PROCESSING FEE TO THE FBI:

Federal Bureau of Investigation,
Criminal Justice Information Services Division (CJIS Division),
Attn: SCU, Mod. D-2,
1000 Custer Hollow Road,
Clarksburg, West Virginia, U.S.A., 26306.

A CERTIFIED CHECK OR MONEY ORDER for U.S. $18 should be made payable to "Treasury of the United States".
Processing usually takes between 6 and 8 weeks. The FBI will send the applicant the results of their check by RETURNING their fingerprint card. THAT IS THE APPLICANT'S POLICE CERTIFICATE.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/can-am/buffalo/visas/police_certificate-en.asp

if i apply as the principal applicant, does my spouse also have to get a set of fingerprints and send it to the FBI?

so then i should pay $36 fees to FBI instead of $18 they are asking for, or is $18 a general fee irrespective of how many people are applying?

Fees

Processing fee per applicant is $18. Multiply for number of applicants. It can be in one certified check or money order.

Thanks Kenny04!

This is helpful info.
I just went to the FBI website and saw the copy of the FBI form (PDF file). Can I use it to save time rather than than waiting for one in the mail.

Referring to this below, I had applied for 2 Australian PCC's for my wife(since she had worked there). The fees is $36 and i sent a draft of $72..but it was sent back to me saying that the required fees of $36 wasn't paid..no other explanation - do you think they prefer 2 drafts of $36 each?

will the same above apply to the US PCC too? the only difference is that I had sent $36 for 2 people (me and my wife) rather than ask for 2 PCC's.

GCBy2010 said:
Processing fee per applicant is $18. Multiply for number of applicants. It can be in one certified check or money order.

Hi Guys..

I ve just came back from USCIS office. I made and Infopass appointment to ask why my case is taking longer to be approved than the average of the cases that are being processesing in my Local Office.

They told me that they cannot complete my case in the normal time due my Name check is still pending ( my fingerprints were cleared the same day that i submitted them).

Now its been 3 months since i did my biometrics/fingerprints.

Questions:
1)IS NORMAL THAT THE NAME CHECK IS STILL PENDING 3 MONTHS LATER?
2) WHATS THE AVERAGE TIME TO HAVE YOUR NAME CHECK CLEANED?

I am guy from south america and have an uncommon german surname.....

Ill appreciate any kind of answers.

thanks so much!

Just got my fingerprinting done, do i need to attach any letters or documents
with the finger printing card to send it to the FBI...
your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Nope you just need to put Canadian Immigration in the purpose.

The7zen said:
Just got my fingerprinting done, do i need to attach any letters or documents
with the finger printing card to send it to the FBI...
your help is appreciated.

Thanks

its been 8 weeks since I applied for the US pcc..is it currently taking longer than the 6-8 weeks mentioned?