Favourable recommendation from DOS

nasho

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
I checked my status online and it is showing dos has sent me favourable recommendation on 22nd oct, 2007. process seems to be real fast once u submit all the documents to them. I am giving the timeline for some of u who r still in the process of waiver.

1. Getting NORI From INDIAN authorities (took almost 8 months)
Jan 5, 2007 - Notarised forms and affidavits sent to chicago Indian embassy
Jan 21, 2007 - Attested Documents return back to me (to be sent to authorities in India)
Jan 23, 2007 - Attested documents sent to parents in India
Feb 6, 2007 - Documents received in India
March 24, 2006 - Received New Delhi MHRD 'NORI'
June, 2007 - Received Chandigarh Passport Office 'NORI' (collected and sent by my father). I never got a copy direcly from them.
Sept 18, 2007 - Received scanned copy of Home Ministry Haryana (Chandigarh) 'NORI' sent by my father
Sept 19, 2007- NORIs and other documents with $20 fees sent to Chicago Indian Consulate. I sent photocopies of NORI from passport office n home govt.

2. Case timeline with DOS (took 1 month after receiving documents by them)
Sept 11, 2007 - DS 3035, fee ($215), case no. and other documents sent to DOS
Sept 21, 2007 - DOS showed online- all documents received
Oct 1, 2007 - Waiver Certificate received frm chicago Indian Consulates (one copy forwarded to Indian Embassy in Washington DC)
Oct 15, 2007 -Waiver Certificate received by Indian Embassy and sent to DOS
Oct 18, 2007 - DOS receives Waiver Certificate (No Objection Statement from Indian Embassy)
Oct 22, 2007 - DOS sends Favorable Recommendations

Now I am waiting for approval letter from DOS.
If anybody has any kind of querries , let me know. I am thankful to everybody who posted useful information in this forum.

Nasho

First of all congratulations. It is really helpful to see the timelines for those who are starting to apply for the J1 waiver based on No Objection from home country. DOS might take longer for the cases which are not based on No Obejection.

Were you subject due to funding received from India or professional shortage?
Either way, I don't see why you're so surprised, you were a free man the moment you got the NO letter.

I think he is trying to help other people with the time-line for no objection from home country (India). It feels nice when you get waiver after long wait.

Thank you for the wishes.

I did not get any kind of funding from any govt. I am a PhD from India and worked as a Research scholar for one year on J1 visa. Now I will be applying for H4 visa as a dependant of my husband.
My waiver was based on no objection. I can help those people in the same boat. I dont have any experience in other kind of cases of waiver.

Congratulations.
In that case it must've been skill set based hrr. In either case getting No letter was the key step.

I already had a case no. as I applied for advisory opinion in nov, 2006. one has to use the same case no. for filing waiver application with DOS.
I sent my DS 3035 along with fees and other documents app. 10 days before i got my 3rd NORI from home govt . But u can do both steps together, i.e. sending NORI to embassy and DS 3035 with waiver application to DOS.
Generally DOS takes 10 to 30 days to put the case online after receiving the application, in that time period embassy may also send no objection certificate to them, n then DOS can give decision depending upon the case.

Nasho

If you applied for adv opinion before and now you are applying for waiver then, case no remains the same Brother! As far as I know, when you are sending the waiver docs, just mention the old case no on them. In statement of reason just mention that you want to apply based on no objection from your home country. What type of training are you into?

Best Wishes
Joe

You dont need to send a case no. :

1. When u send statement n affidavit for attestation to embassy
2. When u send attested statement n affidavit to india with a request for NORI.

You need to send case no.:
1. When u send all NORI obtained from india to ur embassy.
Now before this step u can get case no. online from DOS web site. while getting case no. online a packet will be prepared online just for ur case. take the print out n send with other required documents to DOS. Now simultaneously u can send NORI to ur embassy along with case no. obtained online.

Make sure to get j1 extention (if required ) before sending all documents to DOS, As those documents include all copies of DS 2019.

My statement of reason might be different from other J1 cases, as I have to apply for H4 visa (dependant of spouse). so i just mentioned I want to stay with my husband. I also included since my 2yr hrr was based on skill list, my home govt is ready to issue me nori. U can start the statement what u r doing, project etc. n what r ur intentions for getting waiver. be precise n honest. mine statement was less than one page long.

Hope this will help

All the Best

Nasho, a question for you. Can a person apply for waiver and adv opinion at the same time. I am just askin this because I have not received any result for my adv opinion and I don't know how long will it take. I just want to get everything done before the end of my training. Thanks in advance.
P.S: I asked this question in another thread also and got the answer but it was unclear. :-(

I m not much sure about it. but if u r filing on no objection basis u can start the process of getting NORI as that process is totally indepedent of advisory opinion process or any process related with DOS.

NASHO

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is on the basis of no-objection and I am done with three nori's. I got them last week. Just waiting for the adv opinion result and now confused that should I apply for waiver and send the nori's to consulate for final certificate or wait more for adv opinion result. First, nori's took a long time and now adv opinion wait is really killing me.
Help and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Have u checked ur adv opinion online? How long its been u filed it? When ur J1 is expiring?
I filed my advisory in nov, 2006 n reply came in jan,2007. app 3 months.
If u have enough time left for J1, u can wait for a while. otherwise u should go ahead.

You dont need to send a case no. :

Make sure to get j1 extention (if required ) before sending all documents to DOS, As those documents include all copies of DS 2019.

Hope this will help

All the Best

Nasho,
My J1 expires in a month as I leave for India in Dec. I do not need any extension right? I am seriously thinking aboit starting the process here by sending the docs to the Houston embassy b4 I leave for india.

J 1 Waiver

Hi. I have received a favorable recommendation from the US Dept of State for my J1 waiver about a month ago. As I understand, the USCIS is the final issuing authority for the waiver certificate. Any idea how long it takes to get the waiver certificate from the USCIS after receiving a favorable recommendation? Is there any way to follow on this?

Hi everyone,
I checked my status online and it is showing dos has sent me favourable recommendation on 22nd oct, 2007. process seems to be real fast once u submit all the documents to them. I am giving the timeline for some of u who r still in the process of waiver.

1. Getting NORI From INDIAN authorities (took almost 8 months)
Jan 5, 2007 - Notarised forms and affidavits sent to chicago Indian embassy
Jan 21, 2007 - Attested Documents return back to me (to be sent to authorities in India)
Jan 23, 2007 - Attested documents sent to parents in India
Feb 6, 2007 - Documents received in India
March 24, 2006 - Received New Delhi MHRD 'NORI'
June, 2007 - Received Chandigarh Passport Office 'NORI' (collected and sent by my father). I never got a copy direcly from them.
Sept 18, 2007 - Received scanned copy of Home Ministry Haryana (Chandigarh) 'NORI' sent by my father
Sept 19, 2007- NORIs and other documents with $20 fees sent to Chicago Indian Consulate. I sent photocopies of NORI from passport office n home govt.

2. Case timeline with DOS (took 1 month after receiving documents by them)
Sept 11, 2007 - DS 3035, fee ($215), case no. and other documents sent to DOS
Sept 21, 2007 - DOS showed online- all documents received
Oct 1, 2007 - Waiver Certificate received frm chicago Indian Consulates (one copy forwarded to Indian Embassy in Washington DC)
Oct 15, 2007 -Waiver Certificate received by Indian Embassy and sent to DOS
Oct 18, 2007 - DOS receives Waiver Certificate (No Objection Statement from Indian Embassy)
Oct 22, 2007 - DOS sends Favorable Recommendations

Now I am waiting for approval letter from DOS.
If anybody has any kind of querries , let me know. I am thankful to everybody who posted useful information in this forum.

Nasho
Hi,
My self Mitul Working on my waiver. Have six months left for visa experation. Is it safe to send my original passport via mail to embassy, i was told the fee is $60/- for the same ...can i send certified check for the sam....what about $215 fee ...what is that for???

hi Mitul,
fee if 66 not 60 dollars, while sending the document to embassy. which embassy u r sending, for chicago I m sure u dont need to send the original Passport.
$ 215, u have to send to DOS, WHILE FILING UR APPLICATION WITH THEM
Yes u can send certified checks.
good luck

I got USCIS decision real fast, even before getting the letter from DOS.
However, reading others experience, I can say, it takes somewhere from one week to one months. some exceptions r there, where people dint get even after 2 mo. I think u get a receipt from them, which give u the tracking no. I m not sur as i directly got the approval letter.