Father's Friend H1B visa expired some 9 months ago.

Dirovame

So he's laid off now, and he no longer expects to be granted another visa. He could not land a job in the 6 months granted subsequent of his unemployment.

His son's Visa is H4

He turned 21 on April 09, but his father has been unemployed since August 2008. First question is of course when does his over-stay status begin? From the time he turns 21?

He's still in the United States. He's been here for over 10 years with no criminal offenses and has great character. I don't know what his options are. I heard about removal proceedings So I told him about it.

Does he need to wait for the Notice to Appear letter from immigration? What if he voluntarily turns himself in and hires a lawyer, what are his options? He wants to be cleared of removal.

If he over-stays for more then 1 year, and still no letter from Immigration, is the removal proceedings applicable to his case?

What are the fines?

Anything will be very much appreciated.

When he turrned 21, he lost his H4 status. The magic age for which illegal presence begins to count to a ban is 18 not 21.

What date is on his I-94? His 21st birthday?

He needs to meet with an immigration attorney. He has a problem that needs to be taken care of immediately if he ever wishes to live and work in the US in the future.

By the way, his character is not so "great" because he is not in legal status in the US.