FAQ: Sample letters, Sunjoshi presentation, Congress contact info

Sample letter to Congressmen/Senators

Please customize this letter so we don't all send carbon copy letters!

Dear Senator/Honble Representative

I would like to thank you for your support to all legal immigration legislation in the past.

I would like to appeal to you to take action to retain the best professionals who have applied for immigration through employment based immigration channels. Legal immigration offers the country the benefits of outstanding individuals. Clubbing them with complex illegal immigration issues would imply getting them entangled in a long deliberations next year to resolve the nation's broader immigration policy. This would jeopardize America's ability to attract and retain best talent—and ultimately jobs—in the United States.

I am a concerned legal immigration applicant and I urge you to vote in support of the Senate modifications incorporated in Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2006 (S. 1932) passed by the Senate. The action taken by the Senate Judiciary Committee proposes an increase in revenue by recapturing authorized, but never used, visa numbers for foreign workers with key skills in jobs for which U.S. workers are not available.

I, hereby urge you to vote in support of Section 8001, "Recapture of unused visa numbers", of the Senate Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2006 when it comes up for consideration in the conference committee. Your vote will not only address the issue of deficit reduction but will also ensure that the United States of America will be in the forefront of science and technology and will retain the best talent from around the world.

Sincerely,

Last edited by a moderator:
Contacts List

Contaacts are arranged in this order:

1. HOUSE leaders heading discussion on Title VIII
2. SENATE Judiciary Committee
3. HOUSE CONFERENCE COMMITTEE MEMBERS
4. SENATE CONFERENCE COMMITTEE MEMBERS
5. MEDIA and NEWS Contacts
6. IMMIGRATION Contacts

######################################
FREE FAX

isnamerica - INDIVIDUAL FAX and Corporation FAX

www.slucia.com/fax.html (requires signup)
mailnator.com (no signup)
http://www.tpc.int/

EMAIL SENATORS and CONGRESSMEN

http://capwiz.com/aila2/home/

###################################################
IDEAS - HOW TO STAY NETWORKED WITHOUT VISITING FORUM
###################################################

contributed by sundar99

Folks

Have u heard of Linkedin.com ??? everyone Indian, Chinese can unite on this and messages can be broadcast/unicast in one go

and everyone can be reached in momemts notice allover the place, without waiting for them to visit forum.

CHeck www.linkedin.com it is a site to stay in touch
Hope this helps,

immigrationvoice.org

hi guys..
i was puuting advertisements for the meet the lawmakers campaign in evry immi forums...whn i put it on www.immigrationvoice.org..the admin dleted my post in evry thread..whn they did it agn..they banned me from the forum..

i donno y they did tht..whn we isnamerica and others r non profot org having the same aim...
they r acting like some business org and treating isnamerica as their competitor..
if some one is a mamber of immigrationvoice..pls ask ur admin y they banned me..and whjt did i do wrong..
at least i didnt ask tpeople to donate in dollars like they do..all i did was asking people to volunteer fo meet the lawmakers campaign..
the user name i was banned:munnu77
i was banned on 01/11/06...
I was planning to donate to them...now i am not...
pls..gimme a reply if some immivoice members gets a rply from ur admin..

thanks

munnu,

I had requested verification from you through email but never heard back from you. If you are genuine about it, reply to my email that I had sent you. I used the email with which you registered on IV.

TO immigration voice

gc_bronco said:
munnu,

I had requested verification from you through email but never heard back from you. If you are genuine about it, reply to my email that I had sent you. I used the email with which you registered on IV.

first thing..is u said u mailed me b4 banning me...that never happened....
u send me a mail only after i put my posts in different websites...
if u were genuine...u wud have mailed me b4 banning me...and cud u tell all these people y u banned me in the first place...did i post some anti-iimigration comments...????????all i tried is to campaign for the "meet the lawmakers forum..."
sidkadhir told me..one of ur volunters told him that i was banned for posting the campaign in different threads...does that mean..u ban people who work little more harder towards the goal...for your info..isnamerica didnt ban me whn i send at least 1000 faxes to senators and possible commitee members thru their website

and one more thing... ur website wud seem more genuine if u post the names or user names and the amount contributed by each who have already donated and who will be donating...rather than just the total amount collected...

Thank you...

munnu, I sent the email to you at 3:21 (ET) and you made your second round of posts on ImmigrationVoice at 3:48 (ET) - http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11

Do you still persist that we banned you before emailing you? The software that we use had initially marked you as Spam because you had posted the same message across so many different threads.

If you are genuine and do not want to just raise hell, let's discuss this over email. This is my last post here on this issue.

Priority dates

I file two I-130, on Dec. 19, 2000, for my folks unmarried over 21 years of age. when I was LPR. I only receievd NOA from uscis dated Dec. 19, 2000.
I waited for more then five years, and during that waiting I have become a US Citizen, I wrote to uscis, no response to all my letters which I mailed under returned receipt.
Friend asked me to call the National Service Center, I called them,it was to my surprise they don't have my case, and
asked to write back to the place where originaly file this Petitions, again wrote to them no response, called NSC, they found and upgraded the subject I-130.

Since the upgrade, we have not received any response so far, though my Priority date is Dec. 19, 2000. and the Service Center is processing April 2001.
I need some input in this matter.
Thanks.

Contact your Senator regarding unprecedented move by the Department of State

Hello, If you all can then please contact your senator.
Below is the letter I sent to my local senator.
You can find your local senator by using this link (Enter zip code and state) - http://capwiz.com/aila2/officials/congress/?lvl=C&azip=75063&state=TX.
You can also send email from this link.
It does not matter whether this brings any value or not but there is no harm in doing this, in case you are really frustated, troubled and sad!.
BTW --> Thanks to user Vall for this nicely formatted letter.

Dear Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison:

This is to bring to your attention regarding an unprecedented move by Department of State with regards to filing of adjustment of status applications.

On June 13, Department of State announced in its Visa Bulletin for July 2007 that all employment-based categories (except for the Other Workers category) for immigrant visas will be "current," (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3263.html) meaning that individuals/businesses going through the lengthy and backlogged immigrant visa or "green card" process can, throughout July, file adjustment of status applications.

The Department Of State regulations at 22 CFR 42.51 (http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_05/22cfr42_05.html) and 8 CFR 245.1(g), allows individuals/businesses to rely on and use such information. Historically, they have relied on such information knowing that when they prepare and file such applications, they will be accepted and adjudicated.

However on July 2, 2007, The Department of State issued a new bulletin (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3263.html) with an update on July Visa Availability and USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) started rejecting adjustment of status applications for several employment-based immigration preference categories (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/VisaBulletin2Jul07.pdf), despite the fact that the published July Visa Bulletin shows that visas for these categories are available thereby violating its long-standing policy and the expectations of thousands of people, without any advance notification to the general public or issuing any notification under the Administrative Procedures Act (APA). Such a revision, coming in the same month in which the bulletin is issued, would be contrary to years of practice in which revisions or adjustments to the availability of immigrant visa numbers are made in the following month of before the beginning of the month, not in the same month individuals and businesses have begun preparing and submitting applications for adjustment of status.

By taking this unprecedented mid-month update, the Departments of State and Homeland Security have seriously undermined the stability and predictability of U.S. immigration law. Thousands of individuals and businesses rely on the monthly bulletins to prepare and plan for the submission of applications. In addition, individuals have taken the necessary steps to prepare and file applications for adjustment of status, including thousands of dollars of expenses to engage counsel, flights for employees to quickly obtain necessary documents and medical exams for the applications, cancellation of business and holiday travel, changes in family plans to ensure families are in the proper location, etc. This unprecedented action of the government is shocking and disturbing. It has left many in a state of disbelief, frustration, confusion, and anger.

Pursuant to Department Of State regulations 8 CFR 245.1(g), f the applicant [for adjustment of status] is a preference alien, the current Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs Visa Bulletin will be consulted to determine whether an immigrant visa is immediately available.. Thus, when the Visa Bulletin shows that visas for most preference categories are available for applicants with priority dates on or before the listed priority date, the USCIS must accept those adjustment of status applications for adjudication. Under section 245 of the INA, an alien may apply for adjustment of status if, inter alia, (3) an immigrant visa is immediately available to him at the time his application is filed. The question is what the term immediately available means. The regulation at 8 CFR 245.1(g) defines the term and instructs how to determine when an immigrant visa is immediately available under Sec. 245 of the INA.

8 CFR 245.1(g) states, An alien is ineligible for the benefits of section 245 of the Act unless an immigrant visa is immediately available to him or her at the time the application is filed. If the applicant is a preference alien, the current Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs Visa Bulletin will be consulted to determine whether an immigrant visa is immediately available. An immigrant visa is considered available for accepting and processing the application Form I-485 i[f] the preference category applicant has a priority date on the waiting list which is earlier than the date shown in the Bulletin (or the Bulletin shows that that numbers for visa applicants in his or her category are current). An immigrant visa is also considered immediately available if the applicant establishes eligibility for the benefits of Public Law 101-238. Information concerning the immediate availability of an immigrant visa may be obtained at any Service Office. (Emphasis added.)

Reliance on the current Visa Bulletin is well-established. In 1994, the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service) published a revision to 8 CFR Part 245 in response to enactment of section 245(i) of the Act. In the Supplementary Information provided with that regulation, the INS took the opportunity to revise its definition of immediately available to be consistent with that of the Department of State.

The INS said: All applicants for adjustment of status under section 245 of the Act must have an immediately available immigrant visa number. "Immediately available" for the
purpose of accepting and processing the Form I-485 application filed by a preference alien is defined in 8 CFR 245.1(f) as being not later than the date shown in the current Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs Visa Bulletin. The Department of State, however, defines "immediately available" as being earlier than the date shown in the current Visa Bulletin. This rule amends 8 CFR 245.1(f) to bring the adjustment of status provision into accordance with the Department o f State's definition.

I request your prompt attention on this matter asking the Department of State for clarification on this unprecedented change which defies years of established process of individuals/businesses relying on visa bulletin to prepare and file adjustment of status applications.

Sincerely,