Family pack I-485 not approved together

kitten_bear

Registered Users (C)
My wife and I filed a semi-concurrent I-140/I-485 case together. My I-140 (Rd: 4/11/03) was approved on 10/11/2004. We got our I-485 receipt notice together (9/18/2003), did FP together (1/22/04). FP review results came to USCIS on the same day (2/6/2004). On 10/12, my I-485 was approved, but we didn't get any information on my wife's case. Her LUD didn't change either.

If any of you guys out there experienced/heard this kind of irregularity, please shed some light on it. I heard family pack I-485 should be processed together.

It's not irregularity. There is no concept called "family pack". Each I485 application is independent and are approved separately.

Congratulations to you. We hope that other members will be approved soon. Earlier I use to think that primary and derivative applicants are approved togather and also I have noticed that most of the cases reported in this forum were approved togather but are few like us who are not. Now I also believe that there is nothing like family pack and all the I-485 applications are handled separately.
I also submitted all the applictions togather and we did our FP on the same date but only I was approved last month and my wife and minors kids are still waiting for their approvals. There is no change in their LUDs either for long time.

Concept of family packs definitely exist:

Family Packs
Two or more Form I-485 applications may be submitted together as a "family
pack" (i.e., when family members submit their applications together as a
package). These applications must remain together throughout the entire
process.

It is not necessary however that they are approved together...There might be some other steps/procedures pending for ur family members..They will be approved once those steps are completed...

:)

I-485 standard operation procedure

I found a manual of I-485 standard operation procedure in the following website. This manual was dated on 9/18/2001.
www.immigration.com/newsletter/ i485standard.pdf
Family pack is explained in this manual. It provides a lot of information about I-485 processing. Interested readers may want to check it out.

kitten bear,
Did you get your approval yet? Or did you just get the emails? My friend got emails for his 485 approval but not for his wife but he got both their approvals in the mail, so maybe you too will get the approvals in mail.

-jd

jd,

I got my approval notice in mail last Saturday, only one approval notice for me though. The LUD and online status for my wife's case didn't change.

Hopefully I'll get my wife's approval notice in mail today... :confused:

Kitten_bear,
Unfortunatly I have come to accept that there are many things in this SOP that they do not follow, one of them being the famliy pack procedure. It even ells them which elastic band and which type of folder to use to keep the pack together.
Another thing thery do not follow is when a case is due to be expedited because fingerprints are about to expire. The SOP clearly states that

"If the FBI Response Description is NON-IDENT Or IDENT and the date
processed by FBI is more than 12 months but less than 15 months then you
will route the file to INS and make this comment on the batch Sheet "Mark
as an expedite on the batch sheet".
[Excerpt from "SECTION 5: FILE MAINTENANCE", "Table V: FBI Response
Description]

The reasons for which a case should be transferred to a local office are also clearly described, yet they continue to transfer cases regardless of these specific reasons.
[see page 7-3.24 of the "I-485 Standard Operating Procedure"]

As we all know, many people end up doing fingerprints twice, and family packs are being seperated more often than they used to be. Also cases are being transfered more and more.

Bottom line they do not even follow thier own SOP.