Fairfax, VA - same day N400 Interview and Oath Ceremony

Sounds like chances are remote to get the same day Oath. :-(

Yeah, if you assume the office as a whole closes at 4:00p, then your 2:00p interview appointment just doesn't give them enough time to process your naturalization certificate after the interview approval. They have to manually paste your photo on the certificate, quality-check it, etc.

So if you assume that there is an oath ceremony at 3:00p (I don't know if there is), then they will ask you to report for it at 2:00p downstairs. There they will make sure they have your naturalization certificate correctly prepared and ready to hand out as soon as you have taken the oath. So if your interview is at 2:00p, it is hard to see how you would be able to get a same-day oath unless the office closes a lot later than 4:00p. If the oath ceremony is at 2:00p, then you're definitely out of luck for same-day processing.

Good luck either way - I am sure your oath scheduling should not to be too far behind the interview approval.

Sounds like chances are remote to get the same day Oath. :-(

Not necessarily. I had my interview at 1:20pm (got called at 1:30pm and the interview lasted about 10-15 mins) on May 5. I took oath the same day at the 4:15pm ceremony.

Faifax office has oath ceremony at 10 am, 11 am, 12 noon, 2 pm and 4:15 pm. Typically they pick 2-3 of those times to do a ceremony each day. So you may get lucky and they will do a 4:15pm ceremony on the day you are scheduled. When I walked in for my interview (around 1pm), I saw that they were lining up folks for the 2pm ceremony. So they did 2pm and 4:15pm ceremony on that day.

...Faifax office has oath ceremony at 10 am, 11 am, 12 noon, 2 pm and 4:15 pm. Typically they pick 2-3 of those times to do a ceremony each day. So you may get lucky and they will do a 4:15pm ceremony on the day you are scheduled. When I walked in for my interview (around 1pm), I saw that they were lining up folks for the 2pm ceremony. So they did 2pm and 4:15pm ceremony on that day....

This is terrific news for people who have afternoon interviews at Fairfax!

Thanks for sharing this xyzimmi!

Interview and Oath/ Certificate on same day?

I realize that name change can delay our oath ceremony.
In consider of my situation, I want to get it all on same day if possible.
But I already stated to change my name on N400.

Can I request IO to revoke the change of my name during interview?
Then, do I have more possibility to have an oath ceremony on same day?
I look forward to hearing your experience from you. Thank you.

FP date: June 10, 2009
FP done: May 22, 2009 (Walk-in)
IL:
Interview date:
Oath date:

I realize that name change can delay our oath ceremony. In consider of my situation, I want to get it all on same day if possible. But I already stated to change my name on N400.

Can I request IO to revoke the change of my name during interview?
Then, do I have more possibility to have an oath ceremony on same day?
I look forward to hearing your experience from you. Thank you.

There is no harm in asking the IO to withdraw the name-change request during the interview. If the IO agrees to change the form, and they can do that directly on the form, then you should be processed as normal in the Fairfax office. This means that if you have an appointment in the morning or early afternoon, you should be able to get a same-day oath appointment.

I don't see any reason why the IO won't withdraw the name change at your request, but every IO has wide-ranging discretion. Our experience in the Fairfax office was positive both with my IO and with the IO who interviewed my wife.

Good Luck!

Waiting for Oath Letter

My interview went well. My Birth Certificate last name and my official last name is off by one letter ('i' was there in BC instead of 'y'), so they gave me two options.
1. name change through court
2. name change as part of the N-400 process.

I selected option 2 and cleared the interview the same day. I was also told that I will get the Oath Letter for the July 4th Alexandria court house ceremony. But no communications till now.

FAIRFAX,VA
-----------------------------------------------------------------
03/02/09 : N-400 Mailed (TX)
03/04/09 : N-400 received as per USPS
03/04/09 : Priority Date.
03/16/09 : Check Cashed.
03/16/09 : Notice Date.
03/20/09 : NOA Received ( I-797C)
03/23/09 : FP Notice Received
04/01/09 : FP Done
04/25/09 : Interview Letter
05/27/09: Interview Date (Cleared)
??/??/09 : Oath Letter
??/??/09 : Oath Date

My interview went well. My Birth Certificate last name and my official last name is off by one letter ('i' was there in BC instead of 'y'), so they gave me two options.
1. name change through court
2. name change as part of the N-400 process.

I selected option 2 and cleared the interview the same day. I was also told that I will get the Oath Letter for the July 4th Alexandria court house ceremony. But no communications till now.

FAIRFAX,VA
-----------------------------------------------------------------
03/02/09 : N-400 Mailed (TX)
03/04/09 : N-400 received as per USPS
03/04/09 : Priority Date.
03/16/09 : Check Cashed.
03/16/09 : Notice Date.
03/20/09 : NOA Received ( I-797C)
03/23/09 : FP Notice Received
04/01/09 : FP Done
04/25/09 : Interview Letter
05/27/09: Interview Date (Cleared)
??/??/09 : Oath Letter
??/??/09 : Oath Date

Fairfax has same day oath ceremony right ?? call them and check --

did ur interview fall before 5yr anniversary?

N-400 mailed on 6/18/09

My process started.

06/19/09 : Priority Date
06/22/09 : Notice Date
06/29/09 : NOA Received ( I-797C)
________ : FP Notice Received
________ : FP Appointment date
________ : Interview Letter
________ : Oath Letter
________ : Oath Date

Hi folks,

I had interviewed in the Fairfax office about a month ago. I was asked to take the oath the same day, but I requested that the oath notice be sent to me in the mail since I had made travel plans and did not want to jeopardize those plans. In all honesty, I was not expecting my citizenship case to be processed so quickly, from the time I applied (april 20th) to the date of my interview was July 14th, it took less than 3 months. I had made my travel plans thinking that it would take longer for the interview to happen.

So, bottom line is that I have interviewed, passed, but not yet taken the oath. Is there a way that I can check on the status of my case? Do I need to do something to expedite the process? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Kashif

I just received my interview letter in the mail and I'm going to college in a week.
My interview time is set at 1:00 PM and I have already booked a flight from O'Hare to Dulles at 10 AM (so I can come home and take some rest) and depart at 5 PM (I think I'm going to change it to 6 or 7 PM just in case..). Since it's in the afternoon I'm assuming I have to come back to Virginia for my oath ceremony (if I pass that is! Fingers crossed!!)

The letter indicated that the interview takes two hours - I've read from other people that it took 30 minutes (just the interview). How long did it take you all? With / without the oath ceremony?

07/20/2009 : FP Notice Received
08/12/2009 : FP Appointment / Done (Walk-in)
08/22/2009 : Interview Letter Received
09/30/2009 : Interview Date
xx/xx/2009 : Oath Letter Received
xx/xx/2009 : Oath Date

Last edited by a moderator: