FAFSA/FSA Student Loan eligibility for AOS

lisainaz

Registered Users (C)
A while ago, I read somewhere in this forum that AOS applicants are eligible for FSA and FAFSA student loans. Specifically, if you have a Receipt of I-485, social security card #, and Advance Parole, you can apply for federal student aid.

Does anybody know where the link to this thread is?

My husband (derivative) had applied for FAFSA after I convinced his school that he falls under the category of eligible noncitizen as a "person paroled for over 1 year". His school contacted FSA customer service and they apparently agreed that he seems to be eligible. However, my husband's school also said that they need to "manually confirm" his eligibility with BCIS.

BCIS responded to school by saying that husband is an H4B nonimmigrant with visa expiration on Nov. 2006. BCIS never addressed that my husband is also an AOS with an approved Advanced Parole and Receipt Notice for his I-485. Recently, we also received our Fingerprint Notification.

Has anyone gone through this same process and was successful in obtaining a student loan?

Does anyone have any advice on what I need to do to verify my husband's eligibility?

Thanks in advance.