FAFSA/FSA Student Loan eligibility for AOS

lisainaz

Registered Users (C)
A while ago, I read somewhere in this forum that AOS applicants are eligible for FSA and FAFSA student loans. Specifically, if you have a Receipt of I-485, social security card #, and Advance Parole, you can apply for federal student aid.

Does anybody know where the link to this thread is?

My husband (derivative) had applied for FAFSA after I convinced his school that he falls under the category of eligible noncitizen as a "person paroled for over 1 year". His school contacted FSA customer service and they apparently agreed that he seems to be eligible. However, my husband's school also said that they need to "manually confirm" his eligibility with BCIS.

BCIS responded to school by saying that husband is an H4B nonimmigrant with visa expiration on Nov. 2006. BCIS never addressed that my husband is also an AOS with an approved Advanced Parole and Receipt Notice for his I-485. Recently, we also received our Fingerprint Notification.

Has anyone gone through this same process and was successful in obtaining a student loan?

Does anyone have any advice on what I need to do to verify my husband's eligibility?

Thanks in advance.

Just got off the phone with the school financial aid office. They say that although it "seems" my husband is eligible, without the "secondary confirmation" they will be unable to disburse funds to him.

Looks like we have to wait until we get our GC.

Sad.............

You are not eligible for financial aid until you acquire permanant residency, that means 485 has to be approved. I believe there are exceptions are refugees and asylees, but I might be wrong. If you don't belong to those categories, you are not eligible unless 485 is approved (stamping has nothing to do with that, actually).

There was a post on another thread which indicates that:

On 08/18/2003 FSA issued a list of updates. Volume 1; Bullet 3 reads:

...We have revised the guidance regarding parolees as eligible noncitizens in chapter 2. The new text now states that parolees are eligible noncitizens if paroled into the U.S. for at least a year and if they can provide evidence from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS, formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service or INS) that they are in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose with the intent to become citizens or permanent residents. A valid application for lawful permanent resident status on file with the BCIS would meet this criterion

Has anyone been successful at getting FAFSA aid, if their employment based I-485 has been pending for atleast a year?

Thanks,
Amit

aga1793 said:
There was a post on another thread which indicates that:

On 08/18/2003 FSA issued a list of updates. Volume 1; Bullet 3 reads:

...We have revised the guidance regarding parolees as eligible noncitizens in chapter 2. The new text now states that parolees are eligible noncitizens if paroled into the U.S. for at least a year and if they can provide evidence from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS, formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service or INS) that they are in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose with the intent to become citizens or permanent residents. A valid application for lawful permanent resident status on file with the BCIS would meet this criterion

Has anyone been successful at getting FAFSA aid, if their employment based I-485 has been pending for atleast a year?

Thanks,
Amit

Thats really interesting. Anybody successful?

aga1793 said:

The requirements state "paroled for at least a year", not "adjustment pending for at least a year". That means you need to leave the US, re-enter with your AP and then wait a year.

It s a trick..I am under parole here, applied for I485 in August 2004 , got fingerprints, and applied for FAFSA recently.
First off, school doesn't accept I94 ( white card) , employment autorization, SS card , etc. They need a green card. If you ll have a good nice councelor there might be exclusions..Otherwise they will do the same they did to me - they apploved all the apperd and tax forms , and put me on hold. When semester started , they told me that they send my papers to INS ( God knows for how long u know). So, take a loan, and wait till green card..
I am not a lawyer , its just my own experience.

Please advise anyone

Can i take a private loan now for education and later when i get the GC apply for a fafsa and transfer the entire loan amount to fafsa.
any one please advise

thanks,