F3 vs F4 india Green card category selection

rahul9090

Hello All,
Posting for the first time. I recently got my citizen while my mom is expected to get her citizen by end of 2022. I wanted to know considering the annual visa's allotted, India backlog and movement in priority date which category should we consider for filing petition for my brother and sister who are in India. I understand via both category its long road ahead but it would be helpful to narrow between F3 and F4. As per the visa current bulletin F4 is showing 2005 priority date for india while F3 is 2008 so F3 seems to have some advantage but then annual visa allotted are more for F4 compared to F3. Again I am completely new about all this and any input would be helpful

Best
Rahul

Would suggest you file for both, F3 is likely to come up a couple of years earlier if both filed for at same time, but (1) you can file for F4 now and get a head start on when your mom might be able to file, and (2) it is always useful to have a backup option.

Btw annual visas allotted is only half the equation because there are many more people waiting for F4 visas (2.1m total, 201k from India) than F3 (650k total, 40k from India). These would be ahead of your brother and sister in the queue and hence why it takes so long. No one can very precisely gauge how these might move over the next 15 or so years until the priority dates would be current.

Btw annual visas allotted is only half the equation because there are many more people waiting for F4 visas (2.1m total, 201k from India) than F3 (650k total, 40k from India). These would be ahead of your brother and sister in the queue and hence why it takes so long. No one can very precisely gauge how these might move over the next 15 or so years until the priority dates would be current.
Thank you so much for the update. Anyway I can refer the break you have provided between F4/F3 total and india share online someplace?

Excellent. Very helpful. Any input historically or over last decade how's the progress when we compare both categories ?
the easiest way is to just search the history of the visa bulletins to see how the wait time has changed. Because these categories both have long wait times and because the available visa quotas include derivatives, you have all sorts of things happening: people die, get married, have children, get divorced, get widowed, decide they are too old to immigrate to a new place. The general trend is to a longer wait over time but its not easily predictable and the F3/F4 ‘gap’ changes over time too.