F1 visa to I-485 pending

panda12

My wife just received an I-797 from INS indicates that INS has received our I-485. Can she cancel her F1 status from her school and stay home (not going to school anymore) since we have two youngs kids to take care? Is she in a legal status to stay in US (pending of AOS?)

Thanks.

panda12 said:
My wife just received an I-797 from INS indicates that INS has received our I-485. Can she cancel her F1 status from her school and stay home (not going to school anymore) since we have two youngs kids to take care? Is she in a legal status to stay in US (pending of AOS?)

Thanks.

The receipt of I-485 and the generation of an A# puts the applicant in a legal status called "Pending AOS". At this point, non-immigrant visas (except dual intent visas like H/L) would be invalid. To answer your questions, yes. she has legal status. She doesnt have to cancel her F-1 as it is no longer needed.

If she needs to do anything that relies on her immigration status then I would do that first (like drivers license)... From experience, "Pending AOS" is a hard status to be in since very few people understand it.

Thanks arifu for your quick reply.

We are still waiting for fingerprint appointment and INS interview. We still have a little worry about the fact that my wife is changing from F1 (non-immigrant intended) visa to Green Card. Will the INS officer question about my wife original intention to US during the GC interview?

I got the US citizenship recently and upgraded my wife's green card application. Originally, I used my green card to apply for her.

Thanks.

panda12 said:
We still have a little worry about the fact that my wife is changing from F1 (non-immigrant intended) visa to Green Card. Will the INS officer question about my wife original intention to US during the GC interview?

The officer wouldn't bother. Since your wife is spouse of USC, they're only interested in proofs of your bonafide marriage and financial support. I was also a F-1 and got my GC recently. The officer never asked anything about my F-1 status.

I wouldn't cancel F1 just in case if anything goes wrong with AOS. If that happens at least ur wife can try to get back to F if she needs to. I don't know the whole thing about this but it happens to me. I didn't expect that they would deny my I-485 app, so I let my F ran out. But I guess we have to expect what unexpected. When they denied my AOS, they count back since the first day that my F ran out. I thought that they would count from the day of the denial, but I was wrong. That makes me out of status for about 4 months already. And by all mean, I was told that the more day I am acruing for being out of status, the more trouble I can get into.