F1 visa overstay question

AI007

I am a Singapore national and I did my undergraduate in Electrical Engineering from a top university in USA. My course was for 4 years but I changed my field in the 2nd yr because of which I fell one semester behind. In my last semester (Spring 09), I had only gen-eds left, and I took them online.

I was not aware of the fact that if I don't take on-campus courses, my SEVIS and I-20 will not be updated. I thought since I was registered for the semester, my I-20 will automatically be updated. My Fall 09 semester (during which I took 18 credits on-campus) ended in December 09 and I continued staying in the US till April 29th completing my online courses. The International Student Services Dept. at my university did not make it sufficiently clear to me about these F1 visa complications and they had informed me only after I personally inquired about it (my friend asked me to clear my status issue with the ISS).

As soon as I came to know that I'm out of status, I voluntarily left US and now I'm back in my home country and I've got a job here. But I do plan to return to the U.S. to do my Masters after 1 year of work experience. Will there be complications when I apply for U.S. visa again? Just to be clear, I overstayed for 4 months.

You are not banned. It will be more difficult for you to get a visa based on your history.

It is your responsibility to understand the rules of the program. Blaming the university makes it appear that you are incompetent and not qualified to pursue advanced study. Get an attitude adjustment and take responsibility for your failure to do your due diligence regarding your visa status.

You are not banned. It will be more difficult for you to get a visa based on your history.

It is your responsibility to understand the rules of the program. Blaming the university makes it appear that you are incompetent and not qualified to pursue advanced study. Get an attitude adjustment and take responsibility for your failure to do your due diligence regarding your visa status.

Obviously the onus of making sure that I do not remain out of status lies on me, not on the university.

And nobody is talking over here about "attitude adjustment" and "taking responsibility". I know I made a blunder and I want to know corrective measures. As simple as that.

I don't know... every school I've been in states that we can only take one online class per semester, with majority of the time spend on campus. Maybe your school just doesn't care...

Why didn't you speak to someone at the intl student office in your school? I believe they could easily have given you an extension. I know people who have been in a similar situation.

I guess it depends on your consulate. Some are tougher than others. It'll definitely be more difficult for you to reenter. But, anything is possible. No harm in applying...