F1 status need to know more about getting work authorisation

sanket_82

Registered Users (C)
Hi I am here on F1 visa. I am planing to get married to green card holder here. Do I get work permit or not?

No, you do not get a work permit immediately. In fact, unless you keep a legal status on the basis of your own study or work, you must leave the country until the priority date for the spouse of a green card holder is current - approximately 5 years.

If your spouse becomes a citizen, you can get your green card and work permit in less than a year - unless you are outside the country and have overstay that causes you to be barred for 3 or 10 years.

You need to read the USCIS website about the rules and regulations that apply to family member immigration for green card holders.

Hi I am here on F1 visa. I am planing to get married to green card holder here. Do I get work permit or not?

I am a GC holder married on a F-1 student. My wife cannot work. As an F-1 student you can work only on the school campus. Also, you can work outside campus, but it has to be approved by the school immig. agent. The only way he'll approve it would be in a case where you can prove that your financial situation changed and you need additional income to support yourself. Based on my 3 years experience with my wife's F1 status, trying to get a work permit from the school is harder than climbing everest.