F1 status help for person waiting for h1b

farkhodbek

:confused: Hi everybody
I am in a situation where I have no idea what to do.
I had finished my OPT in July the 10th 2006. Company applied for h1b visa masters quota on June 24th 2006. During the July 10th till now I am doing second masters. Only reason I am in school to be in status. I told my lawyer that I can not pay for any other classes because of the financial situation I am in. He told me to drop the classes. When I asked him whether I would violate the f1 status by dropping the classes he told me that I have two months grace period. I went to school to drop the classes but my international advisor at school told me that I can only stay in US for 15 days after dropping the classes. So I called the USCIS to clarify and they confirmed that I can only stay for 15 days but my lawyer insists that I drop the classes. So, I am not sure who to trust. I do not want to be out of status. Lawyer or person with experience please help?

Thank you in advance for your replies [/SIZE
]

Same problem

I will be in the same situation as yours soon at the end of next week (10/13/2006), at which my OPT expires. The company applied H1B for me and the notice receipt date is 7/20/2006. HR personnel called USCIS last week and they said I would be OK to continue the work as long as the case is in process even after OPT period finished. Look at your case, it seems that it is not OK for the continuation. I am confused too.