F1 stamping outside Home country

balleballe

My wife changed her status from H4 to F1 last year, and is now travelling outside the US for the first time since she got her F1 approval. Does she have to travel to India(only) to get her F1 visa stamp in her passport, or can she do it in Europe (where she is travelling this summer).

Also, she will probably not get the new electonically coded I-20 before she leaves the country, is it OK if she gets it after she leaves????

Thanks for the help....!!

Best thing would be to check with the consulate in Europe. I think most US consulates have a web site, and you might also be able to call them. I do not know of a general rule that prohibits issuance of F1 visa stamp outside the home country, unless the person has been out of status.

H1 to F1 need info please reply

Hi I am applying for change of status from H1 to F1 in Toronto , I am still in status and working, will they let me come in to US if my F1 is denied with the old H1? Toronto is drivable distance from my place so is it OK to drive down or should I go by plane? Please let me know about your experiences in consulate, thanks

If your h1 visa stamp is still valid, and your I-797 is valid, and you are currently employed for the employer mentioned in the I-797, then you can enter on the old H1. You would not be in F1 after you enter the US in this case. Others with experience should share what they have experienced, especially recently.

to dmn1 or any one that knows:
1) So it is possible to apply for F1 visa in Toronto if my home country is another one?
2) What is the procedure or requirement?

P.S. I change my status from B2 to F1 recently
Thanks a million !

Hi this is what I learnt about the process of stamping out side home country, I had an appointment at Toronto, you get a reference number when you book an appointment, and you can call them and ask if you have any questions with the ref.# you will be charged$1.50/min, the number to call is given in the website of US embassy toronto. They said though my H1 visa was valid and I am in status once I submit for a new visa the previous one gets nullified!! so they said if I dont get my F1 then I will not be able to come back, and they said they need documents as proof of ties to home country( like property deeds, title etc..family ties) and it is very difficult to determine the ties with such documents outside home country that is what they said, and I enquired in my home country embassy they said if everything is in order it will be easy unfortunately I did not get an appointment in time there so I cancelled my appointment in toronto too instead of taking the risk I decided apply for change of status and to pay my tuition and expenses out of pocket till my F1 is approved. I hope this helps others in similar situation.

Hi,

Could you please tell me that is ur home country India and did you try getting an appointment at mumbai consulate because even I am under similar situation and want to know if it is diificult to get appointment easily at the mumbai consulate.

thanks in adbvance.

Hi,
I did not try in Mumbai, but enquired in Chennai, and the earliest date available was in September(this was about a month back, may be now it is Oct???). You can check with them by mailing them. Good luck.