f1 out of status sevis

soccer203

Registered Users (C)
when i asked about my out of status f1 visa like 6months ago ppl replied that my school which i never showed up to might not even put anything into SEVIS...so that means my school might now even report me? can that happen? ppl who know stuff about immigration told me that there is a good chance they didnt report me like the person who was taking my stuff to that school while i was in my homecountry and other good friend of mine and his lawyer...can they be right and if that is the case whats my status ?

i was in usa for over 2 years out of status and never showed up in school

what you are facing is whether you are (or will become) "unlawfully present" in the US. Unlawful presence for 180 days or more will bar you from US for 3 years if you leave the country. Unlawful presence of more than one year will bar you for 10 years if you leave.

I doubt that your SEVIS record hasnt been updated. Sometimes, the school officials will update it when university records show that you never registered for school. But sometimes, SEVIS itself will terminate your record, without the school officials doing anything (this is what happened to me).

However, a terminated SEVIS record does not mean you are unlawfully present. An immigration official has to make that declaration.

What does this mean for you? Well, you can continue to stay in US illegally and hope that Immigration wont find you and declare you unlawfully present. Or you can marry a US citizen and get GC (might be frowned upon, but hey its a way to do it). Or you can leave the US BEFORE you are determined to be unlawfully present and have a chance to come back in the future (on valid visa)

yeah i left usa already...but i have heard theres a chance they dont put anything into sevis and ice doesnt even know i dint attend school...i will apply for c1d in a year which i cant work without in seaman ship business and cruises

Oh ok. No you cant check sevis yourself, you have to ask your school's DSO to check it for you. Good luck with everything!

I am USC and have filed I-485 for my wife and received the receipt notice. My wife was/is on F-1 student visa, which she does not intend to return to school. She was on 6 month medical leave, of which three months have passed. Now, i know once I-485 is properly filed, technically her F-1 student visa becomes invalid and she can not travel on it. Right?. She has applied for AP. Now, I know she can travel on GC. But before GC arrives, do we have to send a notification to school that she does not intend to return and her status shall be updated in "SEVIS" as studies completed or withdrawn. if she does nothing and does report back to school, what will happen to her SEVIS record?

If she does contact school official, than What shall be noted in SEVIS and what date of status change be noted? Does DHS require that status update shall be before her medical or it could show during the medical leave? Do we have to give a copy of her NOA for I-485 to school to upgrade her SEVIS status?

Please answer by some one who is expert in SEVIS. To be prudent, I am also posting this in NIV section?

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm i think even if she violates the sevos she's still eligible for k1 visa . So if she left USA she doesn't have any type of ban so ur good

If she has no intentions of returning to school, then inform theschool. Proper thing to do in my opinion. That is all you need to do. Status wise she is fine since she is an AOS applicant. You need not worry what goes on between the school and DHS.

do we have to send a notification to school that she does not intend to return and her status shall be updated in "SEVIS" as studies completed or withdrawn. if she does nothing and does report back to school, what will happen to her SEVIS record?

I am a DV lottery winner with F1 status till now. I have been under petition filed by a store (restaurant) owner for I-765 after I140 approval in 2009. I got lottery for 2011. Since then I decided to go for AOS does previous filing of I-765 and I-140 state about my violation of status of F1. Does it has anything to do with SEVIS record??