F....... Affidavit of Support

Glorya

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

Me again with dumb/dumber questions of life importance :eek:
Learning good and bad about American culture on daily basis.
Mu husband's sister and best friend do not wanna sign Affidavit (joint sponsorship) for me. Don't ask me why, we are shocked and totally stressed about it all. Coming from my culture, I cannot understand that considering I am educated and relatively smart individual with good background. :confused:
I am pissed at everyone/everything and my last option is my employer. I think he would do it but I would like to avoid that if possible.
I just though of something and I'm courious if anybody had any experience with that kind of supplement. My dad own's a lot of valuable land back home.
If he would transfer the deed to my name, would that proove that I have enough means. Is that too complicated to do? Value of the land ranges 500.000-750.000 euros.

I really don't know what that has to do with american culture. Happens every day somewhere all over the world that somebody you trusted chickens out when it comes to action. I mean "talking the talk, but not walking the walk" is not necessarily unknown in Croatia or Germany ... you know, what I mean.

Anyway, owning land someplace won't help you much here in the US, I'm afraid.

But there's another way. Check this out: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm#income

Below the Poverty Guidelines is a section that might interest you

If you cannot meet the minimum income requirements using your earned income, you have various options:

* You may add the cash value of your assets ...

read and see if that might work for you guys

Problem with that, my husband just started working after being a full-time student. He makes more then 125% of povery level but we were advised to look further (joint sponsor) because they could deny the adjustment (no employment history).

Pay Stubs

I am having a difficult time getting all my paystubs for the past 6 months in time for my interview; however, I do have my annual social security statements, 3 years of tax returns and some paystubs over the past 4 months. I also have a letter from my employer - my offer letter - that states my start date and my salary. Do you think this will work?

i had the same prob. i asked my best friend to sponsor but at the last min she came up with some excuse and i was in shock for like 3 weeks. i mean this is the time that a friend is in need the most and she just bailed out. and it's not like i'm not to be trusted. so now we're talking but from my part i'm just like whatever. in any case i really don't think it's an american thing. i think when it comes to money, people just change.

your assets (the land) can be used but you will have to show that they can be available (i think physically) within 1 year. so i don't know how the land is going to help. unless there's some indication that you are going to sell it perhaps.

i'm using assets, i have some money in a savings account. you could use that if you have it.

you could still try and use the income that your husband is getting now. maybe an employer's letter showing that he is in a stable job or has a contract. something like that. use your income too to qualify. if your parents have any savings, you could get them to transfer it for now into a MMA account and show that as assets. otherwise you could try your employer.

The funny thing is, my girlfriend wanted to sponsor me but she was $300 short for poverty level. Isn't that bizzare lol. I still think Americans are more paranoid about these things. I know if situation was reversed, my family would do that, no questions asked.

Hon, you got it wrong. If you think that issues with money have to do with culture you have more things to learn :rolleyes: . Money issues are very delicate. Are very sensitive case and my family is not American and they won't do that, because I witness those issues before and I am even agree with it. It does not matter that you came from a royalty background the responsability to sign for a person that in any case she is not your spouse is "in law" or a "friend" does not mean that will take that step beyond the line of duty as a spouse.

At the same time that the person that told you that was going to sign and later on said no, the only thing that you can blame is to be not reliable to you, that's it. But for money is their money and responsability not yours. As the same way, just imagine how many people, that we don't know, trust in others and then instead to be a good example get in trouble because of that. So the same thing can be apply to the other way and again has nothing to do with culture or the country you are from. Not be so short in mind thinking that is about culture.

In my personal opinion, I am very picky with money and cleaning issues. My father in law wanted to help us out in other issues and we always had say thanks but not accepted. So you know my father in law is American and in my husband's family they use to do that but I am the one that don't like that. Fine for others, but I don't like it and never will. So actually I don't blame the person that tells you no. And I am not American and in my country there are all kind of people that will tell you yes and others that will tell you no.

If the person was not enough truthfull to you to say on the first hand "hey I like you, but I really don't know you..." (which is true) or "I really prefer not get into it" and then you would have to accept that it was a no, is their choice not yours.

If you have the opportunity to know other cultures you will realize that everybody eat bread, if you know what I mean... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Glorya said:
Isn't that bizzare lol. I still think Americans are more paranoid about these things. I know if situation was reversed, my family would do that, no questions asked.

The Affadavit of Support is a rather serious matter. I actually consulted a lawyer prior to signing mine, and it was for my husband. It isn't paranoia. We live in a tort-happy society and an unpredictable financial and job market. It is a big deal for someone to volunteer their assets for3, 5 or 10 years. Anything could happen. My lawyer told me some horror stories that I won't repeat here. I'm just saying - try to understand, really, the weight of responsibility that places on someone's shoulders. Quite honestly, I still worry about it. I don't think that makes me paranoid.. just cautious about my life's savings and my property. Try not to take it personally.. :)