F.a.q

WouldBeCitizen

Registered Users (C)
Guys/Gals
This forum has become a sort of repetition. So I have tried to create this for fun. Here we go.

1. Do I mention traffic tickets in the N400?

Y-E-S. Period. Even if the traffic ticket was issued a l-o-n-g time ago, mention it. To be on the safe side, mention everything. Usually only offenses the officer would bother is DUI, homicides and such. Did not stop at a signal, speeding are common and are not considered a worry BUT you have to mention them to be on the safe side. An interviewing officer can and DOES ask anything out of the blue.

Type a separate sheet of paper giving description of each traffic violence and explain result as it happened. Keep proof of everything. Never send any originals. Send only copies.

2. I was arrested for catching more fish/hitting my wife/hitting my hubby/shop lifting 25 years ago and was charged. Do I mention it in N400?

Again Y*E*S. If you want to become a citizen, mention everything you have done and be frank from step zero. Take no chances with immigration people.

3. I forgot to mention/I lost track of number of traffic tickets in the N400. Now what?

USCIS is *not* a demon, trying to deport you for these mistakes. They do act demonish once in a while but if you are frank, they will be always willing to accommodate you. So take out a paper and write a nice letter to them giving your A# and other related file numbers and ask them to add it to your applcation.

4. How do I send the application?

Always use a reliable mode of delivery. ALWAYS keep a copy of what you send to USCIS. In my personal example I always used postal service and always kept a copy and sent everything with "return receipt requested." Before the interview I always know what I wrote and pulled it out and prepared for that interview.

5. How to pay fee - one check or two checks?

It really does not matter. What matters the most is that your checks don't bouce. :) You can even write 4 checks from 4 different banks. Fine but expect more delays and more correspondence. Personal check is fine, money order is great and cash? NO NO. BTW check the USCIS site for fee changes. They can change overnight and return your application for lack of proper fee. So before writing the check, find the correct fee schedule and then go ahead.

6. How to prepare for interview?

As of today (2/11/05) the hundred questions that are web for N400 interview are quite enough. Anything you prepare beyond that is bonus. If you are able to read this FAQ and understand it, you are through. No kidding.

7. My status disappeared from web site. What does it mean?

It could mean a hudred things. (1) the INS website is down. (2) You might be getting an interview letter shortly, so on and so forth. Between the extremeties of (1) and (2) anything is possible. Just wait and watch. No one for sure knows what exactly it could mean. But most probably it is ... (put your guess here. Because it is as good as mine)

8. What do I carry to N400 interview?

Everythign on the planet that is related to your interview and N400. By carrying more papers you won't lose anything but by NOT carrying you may.

9. Do I carry anything about my tax filings?

Call IRS and request your tax transcripts for as many years as they can give. Usually they give for last 3 but if you are nice to them on the phone, they *MAY* give for more years (doubt). Carry those with you too.

10. Do I file tax papers with my N400?

NO. USCIS does not want them. Send only those papers that are required.

11. Where do I get the traffic ticket info since I got them in NC, IL, CA and VA states?

Call those places and district courts for your traffic ticket info. State DMVs usually do NOT have that info. Only the local police stations and courts have those. Example - I got one in AL, Crighton village way back in 1994. Used google and found phone number and called that lady and got what I wanted - a letter on plain paper explaining the offense and how it was resolved.

If you lost track of them, mention that very fact.

12. Will the interviewing officer ask for tax transcripts?

He may. You can never guess what he would ask. Be prepared. But usually unless he gets a doubt, he would not bother.

13. What is namecheck?

Welcome to the last leg of N400 process. If you have common name like Kumar, Ramallah, Muhammad (not to speak of Laden and bin), you are stuck. They will check your name and background and doublecheck and triple check it for every known crime on the globe including your killing of lizards in your backyard! Otherwise you are through. For more info read the unending thread of "my name check experience" by our moderator one Mr. Rahul Kumar.

14. The check was cashed but the number written on back of check and the number on receipt letter to me do not match. What to do?

I would say, do not bother. You have a receipt letter with date and number. Stick to that and watch and wait.

15. Can I postpone the fingerprint appointment?

YES. The fingerprint appointment letter itself tells how to do that.

16. Can I postpone the interview itself?

Sure why not? You can do that by writing a letter to USCIS. But expect that when you want to continue it again, there could be severe delays. So the best bet is to stick to the original date.

17. Which service center is the best for processiing N400?

Rather you should question the person dealing with your application. In general my experience was that the following order serves good in time and efficiency. (a) Northeastern Center at St. Albans (b) Midwest at Lincoln, NE (c) Texas center and finally (d) California center for what it is.

18. Which date is used to calculate the 5 year period?

The date printed on your plastic greencard, to the best of my knowledge.

19. Can I apply 90 days ahead of 5 years?

Sure you can. I did so BUT you will not get your N400 approved before 5 years elapse. But hey who got his papers approved in 3 months?

20. Should I mention selective service?

Get a letter from selective serive dept (Google it) and enclose it if required. If you forgot to register, try registering now, if you are eligible, mention the same in N400. It is not an offense that will kill you. But it can have some effect.

21. I am a member of IEEE/India Association/Local Gun Club/AARP/National Rifle Association etc. Do I mention it?

YES. Mention everything. Always follow the golden rule of mentioning it from step zero. Not mentioning may not come as lie but the officer can see it as a lie. Put your frank foot forward all the time. In my case I mentioned India association of Washington DC, Engineering societies I am no longer a member, and everything I can think of. For Indian associations, I have added the word (Cultural) for removing any mask of doubts.

22. Do I need a lawyer to do N400 process?

Depends on how much money you have and how complicated your case is. This forum is for simple and straight forward cases and sometimes a bit complicated ones. If the noose is too tight you may need an attorney. To my knowledge at least over 80% of the guys do by themselves. I did everything -F-1, F-2 for spouse, Practical Training, GC, Labor for H1b, H1B, H4B for spouse, N400 both me and spouse, passports for whole family :) - by myself. No problems were ever encountered. {see the immigration god at work? :)}

(The above text is *NOT spell/grammar checked and use it at your own risk.)

I will add more and more as I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
One suggestion

I have not seen any info on this site about the following.
Whether you need to submit proof of disposition of traffic tickets along with the N400 or take it for the interview?
I have some tickets for which I could get proof that the fine was paid. Should I submit the proof along with the N400 or just detail the tickets and if the Interview officer asks about the tickets show him the proof ?
You might want to consider adding this question to faq.
Thanks.

enjoylife said:
I have not seen any info on this site about the following.
Whether you need to submit proof of disposition of traffic tickets along with the N400 or take it for the interview?
I have some tickets for which I could get proof that the fine was paid. Should I submit the proof along with the N400 or just detail the tickets and if the Interview officer asks about the tickets show him the proof ?
You might want to consider adding this question to faq.
Thanks.

You can. Though it is not necessary. Read second paragraph of Q.1 in the FAQ again. Do not have to volunteer more information. That volunteering may land you in hot water. But have to mention it. If you want to enclose proof of clearance of a traffic ticket, go ahead. It does not hurt. But be sure to carry it with you for interview. It all depends on what ticket is for. If it is for DUI or homicide and a serious accident involving hundred cars and 20 deaths, you MUST enclose it but if it is minor offense, you do not have to.

Re: Faq

WouldBeCitizen;

I you addressed several of the pertinent questions regarding the N400 in a clear and straightforward manner. Kudos to you!

I look forward to any furture updates to your list of FAQs

Regards

solasoy

This is the greatest forum in all the forums on this site. No other forums provide so much information in such a nice way. There are so many good stickies here. I wish I had such helpful people in the other forums I visit.
I am heartly appriciating you all helps.

WBC,

I have added this FAQ to the Index thread. If you can find more goodies like this to add, pls pass it along

You missed one important note, about pizza party, after N400 approval. You can give your phone number and have the pizza delivered to your house.

Great JOB WouldBeCitizen :) .
I read about name change and regarding articles thru so many threads. It would be gr8 if you can add one faq for name change ;)

job

Do I have to keep my job? What kind of question will be asked for the job when you apply for naturalization? Do we have to have a job during last 5 years before naturalization?

As I understand that based on new law, people could change job after getting green card (immediately). I am planning to go to school as full-time. Could I do it?

thanks

job

as mentioned by someone that after green card, people can change job. (the old rule of thumb is 6 months after green card) - however, based on new i-485 rule, the green card people could do that too. ? - not true? w

citizen application will be asked for employment history for ONLY past 5 years.
However, does any law prohibit people go to full-time in school as a green card holder? - what kind of questions will be asked during citizen application?

anybody have experience?

thanks

bill1735 said:
as mentioned by someone that after green card, people can change job. (the old rule of thumb is 6 months after green card) - however, based on new i-485 rule, the green card people could do that too. ? - not true? w

citizen application will be asked for employment history for ONLY past 5 years.
However, does any law prohibit people go to full-time in school as a green card holder? - what kind of questions will be asked during citizen application?

anybody have experience?

thanks
You chose a wrong thread for your questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stpes in Citizenship. ....

Hi,

This is for experts .... Could somebody post Steps involved in this whole process ? Like I filed my N400 2 weeks back. I got my receipt. Whats next?? And approx how long each step takes ? What do we need to do in each step?

This would be helpful to all new applicants.

Thx