F-1B visa stamping after getting it converted from H-4 to F-1B

a.shah

I came to US on H-4 visa. I got visa changed to F-1 and am studying Pharm D since last 2 years. I will graduate in May 2012. My passport shows H-4 visa and I have I-797 document showing F-1 (student) visa.

I plan to go to India in Nov & will need to go to US consulate for F1 visa stamping.

I have 2 concerns:
I am studying in a small private school in California.
My Husband is on H-1 & has just filed for I-140 with his company.

I have heard many rejections now a days--
2 Questions

a) Would you advice to visit India while I have to get F-1 stamped or should delay India travel?

b) Or will it be better to visit India after I graduate and after getting H1-B visa sponsored by a company? i.e. go to India for H-1 B stamping after 1 year.

Please advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came to US on H-4 visa. I got visa changed to F-1B and am studying Pharm D since last 2 years. I will graduate in May 2012. My passport shows H-4 visa and I have I-797 document showing F-1B visa.

Hi a.shah,
You are talking about H-1B right? In that case H-1B visa needs an US employer as sponsor. So in your case (b) option may work out better.

Hi Nancy,
thx for the reply.
sorry for the confusion.
I am asking about H-4 to F-1 (student visa) conversion.

Hi a.shah,
Np it happens!

If you stay in US itself using Form I-539 you can change the visa type. I think proof you provide for financial support would be the main deciding factor for your application approval. Good luck!

Its better to consult that to an attorney that are expert in visa and immigration issue. They also know about the stamping. That's what is do if i have a problem in my visa to travel around the world.

New Zealand