F-1 Visa Stamping - new I-20 for Grad School

hz4206

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am sure a lot of people have been in this position. My sister is about to complete her bachelor's degree this semester. She has already got the acceptance from the grad school and will be waiting for the new I-20.

Just last week, she was informed that she got an offer to do research work at the new university during the summer. I think she would get her new I-20 sooner so that she can a new F-1 Visa. Now for the Questions:

1. I can understand that for the regular semesters, she would need the F-1, but would she need one for the Summer Session.

2. If she decides that she wants to visit abroad some time next year, does she still need F-1 Visa to legally be a student at the university.

3. If she does need the F-1 Visa to do research during the summer, what is the current policy of getting the F-1 stamp at the US Embassy in Mexico, even though she is an Indian Citizen.

Thank you for any input.

Nitin

The thing is that she really doesn't need the F1 visa stamp as far as she is in the US and is in status. The F1 visa (like any other visa) is mainly for entry into the US. Once she gets her I-20 from the grad school and completes the whole transfer procedures, she can start at the grad school whenever they ask her to (in her case it's this summer). Her I-20 is what makes her eligible to attend the grad school. If she does leave the country, she must then get an F1 visa stamp in her passport before she can come back in.

I started grad school last summer after my OPT but don't have a current F1 visa because I have not left the country. When I do leave the country though, i'll have to get an F1 visa to come back in.

So basically, your sister is fine. I do not know what the current policy for getting your visa in Mexico or Canada is off the top of my head. But it's still possible. My sister actually just renewed her F1 visa in London (she was studying abroad there).