F-1 visa renewal in Canada/Mexico during OPT

metalblaze

Hi,

I am a Ph.D. student who will be graduating soon and starting at a new job from 1st week of September (my OPT/EAD starts from September, 2007). I came to US in August, 2002 and my current F-1 visa is going to expire by end of June, 2007.

I intend to visit my home country this year in December, and would like to renew my F-1 visa either in Canada or Mexico.

- What do you think are my chances of getting the F-1 renewed (specially since I will be on my OPT)?

- Do I need to get any special document(s) from my employer? E.g., proof of employment, pay stubs etc.?

- Do I need to get any special document(s) from my university which issued the (new) I-20 for my OPT?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
- M

Last edited by a moderator:
Job offer letter, pay stubs, etc would be of great help while travelling outside the US during your OPT status. But if your visa is expiring then ......things are different.

Let's wait for the legal experts comment.

mukeshinmd
rahasiam.com

F-1

hello everyone,
I was wondering if any of you had or know someone who had a similar experience. I am planning to go to Euope and I have an admission for a certificate program that starts in January 2008 in the US and it is only for 6 months. I was wondering if I apply and hopefully get a F-1 visa based on a Certificate program?
Thanks

I have the same situation they say you can apply for a new stamp because you are entitled to get a new stamp. But the intended immigrant burden becomes bigger, so u must prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you WILL return your home country.