F-1 to J1 visa

nidhi1

Registered Users (C)
Dear All

I graduated from an american university with a PHD on May 11, 07. My status until then was F-1. By then, I was already accepted by another american university for a post doctoral fellow ( requires J-1 visa) and had DS-2019 form sent to me. I was misadviced that I will not need to apply for OPT and will be able to work on DS-2019 and that whenever I go to India, while on my way ack I can get J-1 visa stamped on my passport.

After reaching this university they asked me to get J-1 visa either by going to home country or Canada /Mexico otherwise they cannot employ me. My understanding is I still have a legal status until 60 days from the date of graduation i.e. till July 11 and my F-1 visa expires July 08 this year. I have taken visa appointments for US consulates in both Canada and Mexico and have to apply for visa to go to these countries.

I am worried in case my application is rejected I might have to go back to India. Please advice what is the best way, in your opinion to deal with the situation. What is better- Canada or Mexico to get F-1 to J-1 visa change? Also, it wud be nice if one cud tell what all forms, other than DS156, DS158, DS-2019, sevis fee receipt and passport along with required visa fee, are required.

Please help ...thanks

when is the start of your J-1 program?

why can't you apply for a change of status?

you have a 60-day grace period after the date of your graduation.