F-1 to green card

Gervais

Hello everyone,

I'm a foreign (Europe) engineering PhD Student at a good school (not Top20) in US.
Could you please give me an advice of how to complete F-1 -> green card transition in the shortest period of time.

I'm doing research in a pretty hot topic, have some publications and awards and will definitely have more.

I know that the usual way is F-1 -> H1B -> GC. But I read this : http://cssa.mit.edu/forum/index.php?&act=calendar&code=showday&y=2004&m=10&d=30. There are questions 9 and 10:

"9. Are F1 students eligible for greencard application?
10. What are the available approaches of getting green card while you are still at school working toward your PhD degree or as a post-doc researcher?
"

Also, is it worth getting PhD (say to be able to apply as an EB1), or I'd better get MS, find a job and apply to GC (as EB2).

What are the chances that F-4 student visa becomes reality?

What are other ways of getting GC while you're and F-1 student and how long does it take?

Thank you

P.S. I hope I don't sound too ridiculous to you guys. I know, a lot of you have been waiting for GC for a very long time and here I come: "give me a GC in the shortest period of time!". I hope you guys will just give me some advice which way would you choose and what you would do differently, if you were to do it again :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

EB1a (extraordinary ability) is pretty specific - you have to 'have risen to the top of your field'. So it takes time to get papers, citations etc. If you're in a 'hot' field, NIW (national interest waiver) seems like a better bet - if you do a good job making your case. Lots of info here and elsewhere online on the exact criteria, but you can start at the immigration website - the i-140 form has the requirements listed exactly.

just my 2c...

i'm still waiting for E1B approval so you can't fully trust my opinion, but that's from what i've seen and heard.

good luck!
vg

Thanks vg359!

That sounds like a good way. It doesn't require labor certification as well as employer.
Of course F-4 visa would be an ideal opportunity...

The very good luck to you in your application!