F-1 Out of Status - Please help

gaf21 said:
Can any one of you tell me, if a Temporary Visa is required to enter mexico just for 1 day? If so, what Visa would that be?
Appreciate your replies.
gaf21

usually, yes, and you have to apply for it in Mexico after you arrive. But I never applied for it - just went to Tijuana for one day and returned.

Hi friends,
Yesterday, I went to Mexico/Ciudad Juarez and made a reentry with a new I-94. My school had issued me a new I-20 with a new SEVIS record number on it.
Please answer these:
1. Is my old record completely erased from the SEVIS system?
2. Does my record indicate that I was out of status for a certain time?
3. Does my SEVUS record have an effect on my H-1 application petition, probably a reason for the denial of my H-1?

Thanks in advance
gaf21

I was told by my International advisor that your old record disappears only if you have been out of the U.S. for more than 5 months.

You are ok though, at least for now. You didn't accumulate any illegal presence and that's great. :)

gaf21 said:
Hi friends,
Yesterday, I went to Mexico/Ciudad Juarez and made a reentry with a new I-94. My school had issued me a new I-20 with a new SEVIS record number on it.
Please answer these:
1. Is my old record completely erased from the SEVIS system?
2. Does my record indicate that I was out of status for a certain time?
3. Does my SEVUS record have an effect on my H-1 application petition, probably a reason for the denial of my H-1?

Thanks in advance
gaf21

This is from my personal experience of falling out of status. I went out of country with a new I-20 issued by univ. Submitted by I-94 to Canadian immigration at border. Came back next day and got a new I-94 for reentry.

My old F-1 visa had not yet expired and it wasn't cancelled automatically because of being OOS. However I was grilled at an immigration detention center for about an hour as to why I was not registered for one semester & fell OOS. Their system was telling them that I was possibly OOS and to detain me for questioning before taking any decision. Couple of officers didn't want me back in, couple said yes. Finally the yes's prevailed and I was allowed back in with new I-94 valid until D/S.

A Canadian visitor visa was also required in my case, which they issued with ease at Buffalo consulate. No OPT/CPT will be issued either.

Now all your immigration records will always have this OOS on it. My H1B petition was approved recently by USCIS but not change of status from F1 to H1B. Have to leave the country to get a H1B visa and come back in again. A big risk.

In short you, like me, are screwed once and for all. No change or adjustment of status within USA unless married to a US citizen.

Hi verksky,
Since your 'change os status' has not been approved, and your H1 is approved, what is your status once the h1 petition is approved.
Can you stay in the US on h1 even if your change os status has been rejected?
How soon should you leave the country in order to get the h1 stamp and reenter?
Appreciate your replies
Thanks
gaf21

need advice

Hi guys,I am in lot of trouble.I have been with kaplan since march 2004 and recently thought of takin transfer to a university and asked the kaplan people to sign the transfer form.After some days they called me and said that iam out of status since oct 04 as the center manager failed to update my info. on sevis and i fell out of full time status and got out of status and they say that reinstatement is not possible as it is more than 5 months.They say that they will issue a new I-20 and i need to go back to India and then reenter with that I-20.I dont know what to do.Can you guys give me some advice.I would be thankful.

I am exactly on same situation.. They terminated me for failing class and i haf taken 11 credits.. What did you do and what was the result... Reply asap please