Extremely Urgent - Byrd's amendment between 2-3 today Call Senators- Right Now

optimistguy

Registered Users (C)
Senator Byrd's amendment will be discussed/voted between 2-3pm.

Please, still I think we have couple of hours to call. Everyone, please contact the senators who you have not contacted yet. Particularly democrats are likely to support this amendment (Byrd is a veteran and well respected democrat). Please explain the situation calmly and request them to oppose the Byrd Amendment.

Pray everyone. Prayers can do wonders. Lets hope the amendment will be defeated. Goodluck everyone.

Here are talking points sent by Compete America. Hit the phones.

Attached are additional talking points against the Byrd amendment. The
amendment will basically strip the Senate Judiciary Committee language
from the bill and add the House Judiciary Committee language which would
impose a $1500 fee on all L visas.

Please feel free to pass these on to others--it is important that we get
as many phone calls into Senate offices today and tomorrow. As a
reminder, the Senate switchboard number is: 202-224-3121. Senator
Byrd's office number is 202-224-3954 (the point person on this issue for
the Senator is Dave McMaster)

Senator Byrd is still scheduled to bring up his amendment at 2:00 p.m.
today. Votes will be tomorrow.

Thanks to all of you who have made calls and sent letters and e-mails
already!

Talking Points: Vote “NO” on Byrd Amendment to Budget Reconciliation Package
Today from 2:00 to 3:00pm it is anticipated that Senator Byrd (D-WV) will offer an amendment that would strip the additional employment-based (EB) and H-1B visas approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee as part of the Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2005. The amendment would impose a $1500 fee on L-1 visas, identical to that already passed in the House. Please call those Senate offices with whom you have constituent relationships and urge them to vote “NO”.

Key Talking Points Against the Byrd Amendment follow:
While, the House Judiciary Committee and the Byrd amendment would meet budget reconciliation obligations by imposing a $1,500 fee on L-1 (intracompany transferee) visas, the Senate has supported a different approach that would help American employers to grow, compete and innovate here in the United States.
The L-1 visa fee in the Byrd amendment is a tax on business. The $1500 fee would not be used to improve immigration processing or otherwise make America more competitive. The fee sends yet another negative message that the U.S. is not conducive for business.
The Senate Judiciary package would recapture UNUSED H-1B and employment based visas. This will allow American employers to hire vital employees in the United States rather than abroad.
The ability to attract and retain the best talent from around the world is a major factor in American competitiveness. Arbitrary quotas on employment-based green cards and temporary visas (H-1Bs) for highly educated workers hurt our ability to attract and keep talent—and ultimately jobs—in the United States. The current Senate language allows U.S. employers to continue to access and retain certain talent.

West Virginia Folks - Must Call Senator Byrd

Guys

I wrote to Senator Dodd & Senator Lieberman this morning about voting down on Senator Byrd's proposal. (I am from CT).

I am aware Sen Lieberman's stand was for Sen Byrd's proposal. I am hoping
he gets the message and votes it down.

WV folks you need to call and make your voice heard,
Miss this boat and you are gonna blame yourselves for not taking this action!!

Urge you all to take a few minutes and pick up that phone or email it out.

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
I called Illinois senators Durbin, Obama and Kirk's offices. Reuqetsed to NO VOTE against Byrd ammendments on immigration to Budget Reconciliation packages.

I tried to call senators from other states but office staff are not ready to take messages. Did anyone else also had same problems?