Extension of visitors visa

Chennai2

Registered Users (C)
Hello Friends:

I know this is not site for this questions. But , some of you may had similar experience.

I am a GC holder. I am planning to extend my mom's stay here for another 6 months. However, I am laid off.

Can I use my wife's employment for source of support ?

Is there any issues to be worried about ?

Originally posted by Chennai2
Hello Friends:

I know this is not site for this questions. But , some of you may had similar experience.

I am a GC holder. I am planning to extend my mom's stay here for another 6 months. However, I am laid off.

Can I use my wife's employment for source of support ?

Is there any issues to be worried about ?
If you and your wife can show sufficient assets and or income there should be no problem. Both of you can sign the affidavit of support.

"Can I use my wife's employment for source of support ?" Of-course, you can. Have your wife complete and sign the sponsorship form. If instead your mother-in-law was the one who is travelling and your wife was a home maker (a common situation), would'nt you be the one providing the letter?

On a separate note, you should know that extensions of visitors visas are no longer automatically granted. If approved, it is not necessarily for six months. On the other hand, by most accounts it appears that it takes the INS more than six months to process these applications. Keep a copy of the I-94s so that even in case the approval does not come in time, your mother can still provide the copy at the airport.

This is what happened to me

Me and my brother applied for extension of my mom's I94 (She has 10 years Visa) for another six months through CSC(California).
We applied 3 months before her I94 coould expire.
We got a receipt notice promptly and then 1 month after her I94 expired she got an approval notice and they approved her for only 15 more days.
So I think it is not worth it for the amount of money you spend.
May be you might get lucky, but this is just my personal experience.

Here are the dates.

I94 dates: March 2002 to Aug 2002
Applied for extension on First week of June 2002
Approved on Sept 10th 2002 and the new I94 expired on sept 25th 2002.

So we went through all this pain so that she can stay for 25 more days.

Hope this helps
Ram