Extension of I-94.

ravik_22

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everybody,
My mother has a 10 year visitor visa and she came to USA in Dec'04. She was given an I-94 for 6 months which will expire in June 2005. We are planning to extend her stay for few more days and we are planning to go to Canada and get a new I-94.

I have few questions:

1. First of all, can we get a new I-94 without going to the home country.
2. Second, if at all we can do that, once we go to Canada and while coming back, will we get a new I-94. Is there a chance for my mother to not get a new I-94.
3. Will there be any problems if we do like this.

Again, my mother has a 10 year valid visitor visa.

Please share your experiences.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gopi.

Actually

If she's here in a B1/B2 she will. Fs, Ms, Js, and Visa waivers get revalidated after returning from contiguous territory if they were there less than 30 days. In other words when they return to the US they get the remainder of the initial period of admission they were given before they visited our neighbors to the north or south. Not B2s. They get a new period of admission because for them setting foot into Mexico or Canada is a meaningful departure. The logic: they can apply for extensions of stay so there is less reason for them to play those types of games. The thing is, there is a high likelihood the officers will suspect she's trying to circumvent the law by stepping across the border every 6 months and renew her stay so she can live here on visitor's documents.The first thing you need to do is ask yourself whether you are obeying the law or not. There's more to it than whether she stays more than 6 months without an extension. Such as, has she spent more of her time here than abroad in any 1 yr period.

We are planning to extend her stay for few more days and we are planning to go to Canada and get a new I-94.

I don't believe you. What could she accomplish in a few more days that she hasn't in 6 months. Sounds more like you want another six months. Good luck trying to circumvent US immigration law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey ravik_22 -please share your experience

Hey ravik_22 -

can you let us know what you finally did. I am also in a similar situation and wanted to find out if you were able to get a new I-94 with fresh 6 months of stay by travelling to Canada by road?

Would greatly appreciate if you could please share your experience
Thanks

Extension of I-94 or New I-94 for Visitor

Hi, I am also in similar situation. I want to extend my Mothers stay by another 2 months. Right now she has been given I-94 which will allow her to stay here till Feb 2005. I am looking at options of applying for an Extension of her stay. My Questions are:

1. Does USCIS allow extension even if the original period of stay granted was 6 months?
2. What are the required documents, check list (if any) for applying for extension?
3. How much time in advance should I apply for extension?
4. What are the chances of getting the extension approved? Because applying for extension will mean that I will have to also extend the return ticket and if the application is not approved by USCIS then I will have to rollback the changes done in the return ticket!

Suggestions / comments will be appreciated and beneficial to other members who are or may come up with similar situations.