Extension issue

Cozyhome

Registered Users (C)
I am petitioning for my parents. Last year, they were here on visitor's visa, which was originally issued for 6 months. They applied for an extension at 5th month, but they didn't get any response from USCIS until the 10th month with an extension denial. In the denial letter, USCIS asks my parents to leave the country within 30 days and they did. I am wondering if this is a serious issue during their interview. thanks.

In the denial letter, USCIS asks my parents to leave the country within 30 days and they did. I am wondering if this is a serious issue during their interview. thanks.

Are you doing CP now?

It should generally not be an issue. Do you have documentation about their return within the 30 days (boarding pass/ticket, immigration/customs seal, etc.)? This is considered an overstay, but for I-130 application for immediate relative overstay is usually overlooked/pardoned. I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Also, did you not hear back after your application about 7 months ago? No progress? Check on others who applied around the same time. Also, was the application filed when your parents were in the US? If so, did you file for their AOS too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for information. I think they can show their passports, which should have information of leaving US. My parents are on CP track and their interview will be in two weeks. This seems to be the only concern we have.