extension denial after departing U.S.

PPRao

Registered Users (C)
My parents had applied to extend their 6-month stay in the U.S. by another 3 months. As planned they departed the U.S. at the end of the 6+3 month period. The decision letter from the BCIS came only after they had departed -- they rejected the request for extension on the grounds of insufficient ties to the home country. My questions are:

1. I understand from other posts that a person is considered to be in status while awaiting the BCIS's decision. Is there an official document or web page that states this?

2. At the time they departed, my parents handed over only a copy of their original I-94 and BCIS receipt. Is that sufficient to ensure that the BCIS records show the correct date of departure?

3. Should I send a response to the rejection notice indicating that my parents had departed prior to the date the notice was sent?

I'd appreciate any information on these issues.

Thanks.

Since they have already left U dont have to worry. Even if they reject there is a grace period of 10 days or so to leave the country. So Ur parents are safe.

Just make sure they dont visit anytime soon.

Can you please tell me from which service center U applied?

They had applied to the California Service Center.

Is there any official document or web page that indicates that it is ok to stay while awaiting response for extension request? Likewise, is there any official document that mentions the 10-day grace period.

What's the best way of making sure that the folks who run the entry-exit system are aware of the extension request and do not inadvertently consider this to be a case of visa overstay?

Thanks.

As you know they track the entry/exit dates ... and if you apply for an extension beyond six months on your first visit , there is a chance they might reject the visitor visa in your home coutry.
It happened to my friends parents .... they applied for the ext and left US before any decision has been made ( I think in the 7th month ). When they tried to come here again , the visitor visa was declined saying that they overstayed and they never mensioned the extension application.

Make your conclusions :-( and good luck.