extending stay in India for more than 180 days

manishw

Registered Users (C)
Guys, I'm posting my question here because the forum for India related questions is not so active.

My daughter has a 10 year multiple entry visa for India. She can stay for upto 180 days during each visit. What do we need to do if she wants to stay for more than 180 days? Have anyone faced a similar situation? WHen I sent an email to the Indian consulate in San Francisco, they sent me a one line reply:
TROURIST VISA - MAX STAY 180 DAY, NOT EXTENDABLE

There has to be a way out. I would really appreciate your suggestions.

yes max 180 days

beyond that she will have to leave india
to another country and she can reenter
if she has multiple entry.otherwise she has to take fresh visa

if the need to stay is more than 180days,then that
needs to be taken care in advance and proper visa to be
taken--which can be extended

When we can follow the rules of all countries
why can not we follow Indian Rules and why we need to
find alternative ways

She needs to take permission from the Office of Foreigner registration

Ther are a couple of things you should do

- If you have time before she goes to India, you should apply and get for her a PIO card. This is a person of Indian Origin card and looks something like Indian passport, this will make it easier to extend her stay.

-Once you are close to 180 days say after 150 days you need to go to the District Police Commisioners office in the district that she will be residing. They can extend her stay. There should not be any problems if both you and yoir wife are of Indian origin. In the 4 metros there is a special "office of foreigners" registration for this purpose, but if you are not in the 4 metros you need to go to District Police Commisioners office and apply there.

But she can definitely do all of this in India without leaving.
Thanks

Texancanadian,

PID is a good suggestion. Can this be done when my daughter is in India?

Thanks,
Manish

Can be done but more difficult

PIO card can be issued in India, but it is more difficult and more hassels. Plus in India there is always the beuraucracy and the "chai paani" issues.
Better, safer and more efficient to do it at an Indian embassy or consulate abroad.
But if she is not going to come to US for extended period, you can try in India also.