Extend H1 or not?

hope_Nov

Registered Users (C)
My H1 will expire early next year. My lawyer said I don't need to extend it since I could use my EAD. However, when I applied for I140, he said that my LC was not good because of some mistakes by the previous lawyer such as years of experiences etc. My lawyer said that even a H1 extension will get rejected. I am so confused. Should I extend H1 or not? Gurus, help pls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, It won't hurt to file an H1 extension application..infact, it will help if any issues were to come up during your 140 processing or,if for any reason, your 140 gets denied down the line(based on your lawyer's comments), your EAD will become instantly invalid (though you can still appeal the denial) and you can't apply for the H1 extension after your 6 years have expired you have to be 'in status' while applying for the extension and therefore you have to do it before your current h1 expires). If you file H1 extension (normal proc - not premium), it will take 6-7 months for them to process it and you won't be out of status until they make a decision on it. plus, you can continue to work during that period. You may want to discuss these points with your lawyer.

hope_Nov said:
My H1 will expire early next month. My lawyer said I don't need to extend it since I could use my EAD. However, when I applied for I140, he said that my LC was not good because of some mistakes by the previous lawyer such as years of experiences etc. My lawyer said that even a H1 extension will get rejected. I am so confused. Should I extend H1 or not? Gurus, help pls.

Thanks Popsy.

I saw from another thread that your I140 gets approved. Congratulations.

Although my lawyer said before that my LC had some problems, later he said that I had great chances to be approved. And if the H1 extension is not handled carefully, it will get rejected.

Another issue is that the job title on my H1 is different from the one on my LC. It was a typo by the previous stupid lawyer (actually it was a mistake by HR of my company, my previous lawyer just gave all the forms to the HR and didn't give any instructions, then collected the documents without inspecting and mailed them out!!! He acted like a post office.). When I applied for 140, we ended up using the wrong title. Should I use the wrong name to apply for H1 extension or the original one?

Popsy and Unitednations, pls help!