explain to me how visa bulletins work

chromedOut

Registered Users (C)
I have a friend that has a PD of 30 APR 2001. she's very frustrated and doesn't understand why the PD has not progressed beyond 22 APR 2001 in over a year. she is first family sponsored preference.

I have an idea how it works based on my interpretation, however I'm not sure if the way I understand it is correct. based on what is stated on the notice page:

A. STATUTORY NUMBERS

1. This bulletin summarizes the availability of immigrant numbers during December.

2. Section 201 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) sets an annual minimum family-sponsored preference limit of 226,000.

FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES

First: Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Citizens: 23,400 plus any numbers not required for fourth preference.

are there only 23,400 numbers available annually for first family sponsored preference applicants, or is this a monthly figure? i.e. each month new numbers are released until the 23,400 cap is reached. or do they provide 1,950 new numbers monthly (23,500 divided by 12)

can someone please explain to me, in layman's term how the PD are set so I can offer her a clear explanation.