Expiring driving license / waiting on decision

Joster

Hi,

I've got a question regarding my driving license. It is about to expire on the same date as my GC (10/15).
I've already gone to my interview, I past the test but a decision could not be made due to an discrepancy with my name on the GC and passport.
My interview was on July 16th and I have not heard anything back from the USCIS yet.

According to the DMV rules you cannot renew your driving licence without proof of valid residency. I asked them if they would accept copies of the application and paperwork but they would not.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get proof that I'm here legally (in the process of getting my citizenship) so that I can renew my drivers license.

Thanks.

:)
Hi,

I've got a question regarding my driving license. It is about to expire on the same date as my GC (10/15).
I've already gone to my interview, I past the test but a decision could not be made due to an discrepancy with my name on the GC and passport.
My interview was on July 16th and I have not heard anything back from the USCIS yet.

According to the DMV rules you cannot renew your driving licence without proof of valid residency. I asked them if they would accept copies of the application and paperwork but they would not.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get proof that I'm here legally (in the process of getting my citizenship) so that I can renew my drivers license.

Make an info pass and find out what it is going on with your case. You might need to explan to the IO at your Info Pass how this is affecting your other daily activities. For example, you will soon have no drivers license.
On Sept 16, that would be 60 days since your initial interview.

It is possible the info pass could hold some good news... :) As the DMV said, once your GC expires and you cannot provide any proof of legal status, you are out of gas....:) Being out of gas isn't a pretty situation, but you can always eat lots of eggs to ferment some gas in your stomach...:):)

Thanks for your advice. I made an infopass appointment for next Friday.

Good luck J. Just be clear to the officer, your life is being put on hold because they are still making a decision. If possible, ask them to write you an official letter indicating they are adjudicating your N400 application and will render a decision soon and if DMV can reissue you a new DL. However, they might be unwilling to go this far, but it won't hurt to try...:D

Update

Had to cancel my first appointment due to the flu, but was able to get an infopass appointment yesterday.
According to the IO, my application was approved on 7/22, 6 days after my interview. However for some reason, they never got around to scheduling me for the oath ceremony. The IO asked me to fill out a form for his supervisor to get involved and make sure that I get scheduled for the oath ceremony prior to the expiration date of my DL and GC.

So, I guess I'll just wait for the oath letter.

BTW my DO is Atlanta.

Your GC is still valid. If you present a valid GC, they should renew the DL even if the GC expires soon, because your permanent resident status does not expire with the GC. Which state are you in?

Your GC is still valid. If you present a valid GC, they should renew the DL even if the GC expires soon, because your permanent resident status does not expire with the GC. Which state are you in?

It depends on the states. Some states issue/renew the DL but place an expiration date on DL that is same as expiration date of yoru immigration
documents (this is the case in PA here). If this is the case for th OP,
then he can not renew his DL. If you explain to the DMV that my greend card
has an experation date but my PR staus does not, they can not understand it
and they do not care.

Yes, but before the physical card come, USCIS stamp your passport
or a sticker on your old GC which you cna use to renew DL. This can be
done very quick so I heard
True ... if the I-90 renewal is e-Filed, that would produce a printable receipt that can be taken for I-551 passport stamping.

However, that may be unnecessary. The state's rules probably do allow the DL to be renewed beyond the expiration of the GC, but the DMV clerks may not be aware of this. That's why I asked which state.

My sincere advice for those who apply for citizenship when their GCs are expiring is to apply for GC renewal in the meantime. There is no guarantee
that your N-400 application can be approved or approved on time. To avoid trouble, apply for both GC renewal and citizenship.

By the way, if you apply for GC renewal and are done with biometric appointment and just wait for the physical card to arrive but you take
the oath, will the GC still arive after that or USCIS will automatically stop
sending the GC?

and if the GC does arrive after you become a citizen, do you need to
send it back?

It depends on the states. Some states issue/renew the DL but place an expiration date on DL that is same as expiration date of yoru immigration
documents (this is the case in PA here). If this is the case for th OP,
then he can not renew his DL. If you explain to the DMV that my greend card
has an experation date but my PR staus does not, they can not understand it
and they do not care.
Some states have different rules for permanent residents than for other noncitizens. However, some DMV clerks are not aware of the difference and treat every noncitizen the same. Depending on which state it is, printing the rules and arguing with a supervisor may enable him to renew it.

Also, some states like Florida allow permanent residents to renew online or by mail without presenting a green card, if the GC was presented in person at a DMV for the original license or a previous renewal.

I believe those who applied for naturalization when they had more than 6 months remaining on their GC can get a I-551 stamp in their passport without applying for renewal, if the GC is about to expire while their naturalization is still pending.

Some states have different rules for permanent residents than for other noncitizens. However, some DMV clerks are not aware of the difference and treat every noncitizen the same. Depending on which state it is, printing the rules and arguing with a supervisor may enable him to renew it.

Also, some states like Florida allow permanent residents to renew online or by mail without presenting a green card, if the GC was presented in person at a DMV for the original license or a previous renewal.

Here in California I was able to renew my DL by mail at lest twice all along even though I was in H1B when I got my first DL in 1998 and later got GC in 2002. For DL renewals the DMV never asked for my GC or any other document for legal presence.

I believe those who applied for naturalization when they had more than 6 months remaining on their GC can get a I-551 stamp in their passport without applying for renewal, if the GC is about to expire while their naturalization is still pending.

How can one actually request for such stamp?

I renewed my DL last year and was never asked to present my GC. I didn't even have the GC with me or knew that I needed to show it. I guess I got lucky :) Also I renewed my DL 45 days before my DL was expiring. I believe that in Chicago you can renew your DL 90 days before it expires (I could be wrong).

Do you have any idea where we can find these rules to print them? I am in Nevada and I am not being allowed to renew my DL because I have the old edition of the GC. They are forcing me to renew my GC. I already filed for the online for the GC renewal but this could take months and I need my DL to get to work. Any idea what I can present to the DMV? Can I take my receipt of online sumittal of GC renewal or some other form?