expired passport; can i go to india on gc?

cmh_gc

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,

I need to go to India in 2 weeks unexpectedly.
My passport expired in Aug 2004 but I am a permanent resident.
Can I travel to India and renew my passport there?
Or do i need to renew my passport here in US before travel?
any hellp would be appreciated.
Thanks

The airline will not let you fly.
However you might try expedited renewal of your passport at an Indian embassy/consulate.

cmh_gc said:
Hi folks,

I need to go to India in 2 weeks unexpectedly.
My passport expired in Aug 2004 but I am a permanent resident.
Can I travel to India and renew my passport there?
Or do i need to renew my passport here in US before travel?
any hellp would be appreciated.
Thanks

I wonder what you were doing in last 9 months. You should have renewed it before your old one expired. Normally it's always difficult to renew Indian passport if the passport already expired. San Francisco Indian consulate specifically mentioned in their website ( http://www.cgisf.org/ ):
"Please always check the expiry date of your Passport, and get it renewed well in advance of the expiry. Incase your Passport has expired more than six months back the process of renewal may take longer time."
Normally renewal in consulate takes 2 weeks. I guess it can longer for you. You can try to expedite it, citing your reason.

Hindsight is 20/20.
I wouldnt be in this forum now if I renewed my passport on time. :D
But since I didnt ....
Anyway please let me know if there is anyother way to renew my passport in less than 2 weeks. Would it help if I went to DC, my nearest embassy, in person?
Thanks for your replies.

cmh_gc said:
Hindsight is 20/20.
But since I didnt ....
Anyway please let me know if there is anyother way to renew my passport in less than 2 weeks. Would it help if I went to DC, my nearest embassy, in person?
Thanks for your replies.

Talking/requesting in person always (or most of the times) help - not only for passport renewal but most of things in the world.

cmh_gc said:
Hindsight is 20/20.
But since I didnt ....
Thanks for your replies.

chm_gc;
Did you try to call the DC office?

Few years back when I went to DC to renew my passport (PP due to expire in a month), they were able to issue me a new passport on the same day. Initially they said they will send the new PP in the mail, but I showed them my flight ticket and insisted on waiting. All they did was charge me an emergency fee and issue me a new PP in about 5 hours.

Also, since you have a GC, you don't have to worry about visa issues in the new PP.

Since your PP expired more than 6 months ago, it might not be considered a renewal any more; you would be applying for new passport.

When you call them, ask them about the short validity on the passports also.

Good luck

cmh_gc said:
Hindsight is 20/20.
But since I didnt ....
Thanks for your replies.

I did renew(New passport) my passport at New york consulate and I got it back within a week. Check website http://www.indiacgny.org/.

Also as other member suggested, if you visit consulate with all required documents, you can get it on same day(with extra money, I think $90).

Good Luck

cmh_gc said:
Hindsight is 20/20.
But since I didnt ....
Thanks for your replies.
Yes go to DC. It will help. The motto at DC embasy is "Whatever we can do for an indian to help , we will do it" There are no solid rules, go to DC and talk

shortcut said:
Yes go to DC. It will help. The motto at DC embasy is "Whatever we can do for an indian to help , we will do it" There are no solid rules, go to DC and talk

There are two offices. Go to Visa center. Try to go early as you need to take a token. In case if your case need more time, this would help you.

Hi guys,
I talked to NY embassy yesterday and they said that it can be done the same day if I go in person. So I 'm counting on thier word and booking my tickets to India. My plan is to go to NY from Columbus, where I live, next Tuesday morning, get my new passport by that evening and board a flight to Chennai that night itself. I know I am probably pushing it but really hoping that everything works out well...
Thanks again for all your suggestions.

cmh_gc said:
Hi guys,
I talked to NY embassy yesterday and they said that it can be done the same day if I go in person. So I 'm counting on thier word and booking my tickets to India. My plan is to go to NY from Columbus, where I live, next Tuesday morning, get my new passport by that evening and board a flight to Chennai that night itself. I know I am probably pushing it but really hoping that everything works out well...

Yes you are cutting it close, veryyy close !! If I were you I would arrive in NY atleast 2 days earlier to renew. But since its not me, all the best to you.

cmh_gc said:
Hi guys,

Dude this is my take

you need to be in the passport office between 8-8:30 get a token, counter opens at 9:30 and then once you pay the fee and submit your application they will ask you to come after 4:30. For me they gave me my passport close to 6PM since the process in the evening is FIFO. For some guy infront of me they asked him to collect his passport the next day don't know why and it takes abt 1/2 hr to 1hr to get to the nearest aiport depending on the trafic

so its upto you to plan ....