Expired F-1 what is best to do?

Taluke

Just like I answered a previous question I also have a question of my own that I hope can be accurately answered here too.

Situation:

I came to visit my family in Mexico and stayed only a few days. Today is the 24th of June and my F-1 has already expired. I came back to the states (Texas where my sister lives I study in Colorado) on the 23rd before my visa expires because I read in the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website, ice.gov, as well as with consulting with a lawyer, that a student can continue to go to the same school even if the visa expires as long as the student is still in active status and has a valid SEVIS I-20 form and is in the states when the visa goes out.

When I crossed the border, by car, nobody stamped my new I-20 when I entered he just checked both my wife and mine visas and let us in, so my concern is whether this is going to cause any problems later on when I apply this coming July for my OPT or to my current student status?:confused:

Another question I have is about the OPT itself. I read that it is possible to apply for an OPT for every degree program as long as it is at a different level. When I first applied for mine was back in 2001 in AZ for my associate degree in Computer Animation and now my degree is a Bachelor in Network Communication Management. To my understanding I can according to the information I read in a website. What do you guys know about getting a second OPT when studying a different major?:confused:

Thanks and I will be waiting for your answers.

Have a good one guys!

Takechi

Do you get an I-94 when you enter, assuming you are a Mexican citizen? If you have a current I-94 with F1 D/S you are fine. Visa expiry does not matter.

You can get an OPT for different degree level.

Nope, I still have the same I-94 i got when I first entered the U.S. a year ago and my old I-20 (because I transferred to a different location but same school) but with a new I-20 the school gave me because there is a new DSO. Would this be a problem?

Thanks!

Should be no problem. Your past I-94 is your current I-94 since trips less than 30 days to Canada, Mexico and Caribbeans are allowed.

Ok you guys I feel a little better now because even though I read it is ok to do this was not 100% sure about it and needed some advice. Feel free to post anything else if you like or any other person that would like to contribute.

Thanks!