Experts Urgent Help Needed - I posted this earlier but did not provide much info.

sub1234

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone,

My casewas filed on 3/15/98. The labor was approved around April 2001. I do not remember exact date. Thereafter my I-140 got approved during september 2001. Filed for I-485 on 10/18/2001. Received RFE on 11/18/02, stating that there is no electronic evidence of my wife and children were having a visa between 7/19/1999 to 7/19/2000, yes this was true, because the attorney messed it up. Therefore we filed I-539 with an affidavit for their H4 approval, which was considered by INS and we received the H4 approvals.

INS suggested us to file I-485 supplement with $1000 for each applicant. my lawer says he will speak to IIO and will tell them that we had filed I-539 which is a pardon with affidavit and INS accepted it therefore this must be considered. This iswhat hewants to argue. If thisdoes not work out then he said we need to pay 1000 for each applicant. Hope I explained the case clearly now, my appologies for not posting the message clearly earlier, which I did it from my work.

Please advise, which way I should go.. I waited for almost six years to get this kind of answer from INS. I worked for the same company till date without break in service too. Therefore, I think I did not get any query asfar asmy application is concerned. I must admit that, I messed up as far as H4 filing is concerned. I do not know my children will pardon me when they grow big. I hope by GODs grace everything will end well.

Once again thanks for reading this and advising me. Please post your views.
Regards,
-SK
Here is Lawers summary.
I regret to advise that we received today from the INS of its intention to
deny your family's I-485 applications because "You did not, however, provide
evidence to show that your initial status was extended to cover the period
from July 18, 1999 to July 19, 2000, and the Service has been unable to
locate any electronic record showing such an extension."

You will recall that we already explained this when we filed for their
extension and even prepared your affidavit.

At this point, we have 2 options:

1. File the required Supplemental to I-485 and pay the requires INS fee of
$1,000 each AS SUGGESTED BY THE INS ITSELF, or

2. Explain that they have already FAVORABLY decided on the issue when they
extended their I-539 applications.

Please call me tomorrow afternoon so we can discuss these options. Thanks.

P.S. Tell your wife not to worry. The WORST SCENARIO is additional costs
and a short delay. But, unless there are other problems which I doubt, she
will get her "green card."

I'm a bit confused - if INS has reinstated/approved the h4's, then where is the problem. I dont see any reason for using 245i.

the fact that H4s were reinstated nunc pro tunc, means that your wife and kids were in status during the questionable period. I would inform INS of the reinstated approvals, and that's that.

My personal non-legal opinion is that the most practical option is to submit I-485 supplement with $1000.00 each without any further confrontation with the INS.

H-4 approval does not automatically mean that they "pardoned" previous un-authorized stay. Thank God that they are not reversing that H-4 approval now having realized disparity in previous visa status. Your description suggests that H-4 approval came after 7/19/2000 and hence 7/19/1999 to 7/18/2000 stay is still illegal. It doesn't matter to the INS that your attorney messed-up and did not submit I-539 timely along with your I-129.

Tell your attorney to pay without any further delay.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

Disclaimer: Personal non-legal point of view only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel the option one is best.

The H4 extention you got may not be for the questionable period. So still legally they were out of status for that period. I strongly suggests for the first option.

May be you can give more details to the forum like for what period the new H4 is valid. Whether that includes the period you mentioned or not.

Anyway this willnot be a big problem to worry(may be few more bucks .....). Good luck.

Could you please elaborate:

1. The H4 approvals that you have now received - do they cover the period 7.19.99 to 7.19.00??

2. What status did your wife and kids come to the US on - assume they were here before 7.19.99.

3. What was their status after 7.19.00? If legal, how did they get that status, since you mentioned that they were illegal between 99 and 00??

Would appreciate your response.

Thanks to All.
I verified H4s yesterday night and all of you are right. INS did not saywhether they pardoned or not they simply issued H4s for the period 7/19/2000 to 7/18/2002, between 7/19/1999 to 7/19/2000, they did not say anything. Therefore option 1 may be right choice. So I will talk to lawer today and do the rest. Hope everything will go well, I will keep you posted with the developments. Thanks for your valuable time and energy.
Regards