EXPERTS: Is it a big mistake? (WDC)

2bc

Registered Users (C)
I sent it in my OCI application and I also sent my Indian passports for cancellation in a separate envelope. I see people saying that cancellation should occur only after you get the OCI status but I was more concerned about holding passports of India and US together.

Can experts shed some light on this? Have I made a big mistake?

Thanks in advance.

2bc said:
I sent it in my OCI application and I also sent my Indian passports for cancellation in a separate envelope. I see people saying that cancellation should occur only after you get the OCI status but I was more concerned about holding passports of India and US together.

Can experts shed some light on this? Have I made a big mistake?

Thanks in advance.

Technically, you are supposed to cancel your Indian Passport once you obtain Citizenship of another country. It has nothing to do with your OCI card.

Most people do it at the time of OCI stamping. That's all.

So don't worry.

See it is like this. It depends on the embassy and where you are applying at.

When you get citizenship in another country-(THIS DOES NOT MEAN PASSPORT) you have to cancel your Indian Passport. PROBLEM-is many associate getting a passport as getting citizenship. Silly.

If you use the Indian passport to travel -then it is a criminal offence and for now it is punishable by jail term in India or a fine.

Some embassies outside US are charging 50,000 RS per passport for this break in the law.

So if you have not travelled or used your Indian Passport in any other way then you should have no problem.