Experiences with the US Consualte in Sydney, Australia?

mini7

Hi, I am a US citizen that married an Australian citizen in Australia. We have decided to move to the US and are now applying for a green card for him through the US Consulate in Sydney. We have all of our documents ready and have notified the consulate that we are ready for our visa interview. We are waiting to hear back from them as to when our interview will be scheduled. I was just wondering if anyone has any experiences with applying for a visa at the consulate in Sydney. Timeline, interview questions, advice or tips, etc? Thanks.

Notified??? How did you notify them? You need to file the appropriate forms along with required documents. They will send you information in mail when the interview date is approaching.

I am not sure how long it takes in Sydney but my gut feeling is that it may take anywhere between 9 - 12 months to get the green card after you file your papers.

Thanks for your reply. We notified the consulate as instructed by them. They said that once we have obtained all of our required documents we should mail to them the DS2001 form, which is the "Notification of Applicant Readiness." The consulate says that once they receive the notification they will complete the necessary administrative processing, then send us a letter with the scheduled date of our interview. Their website says that the interview is usually scheduled for a date "one to two months" after receipt of the DS2001. We must submit the petition in person at the Sydney consulate, and they are allowing us to submit the petition on the same day as our visa interview.

Have you filed with the Sydney consulate? I thought that the processing time would not be as long if you do a direct consular filing.

No, I have not filed at Sydney. I was talking from a general perspective. Sydney's process may be different than the one if you file from within US. Sorry for the confusion.

Hi. There is a lot of information about Direct Consular Filing in Australia on the VisaJourney dot com website. From what I've read there, it sounds pretty easy. HTH :)

sadie33138 said:
Hi. There is a lot of information about Direct Consular Filing in Australia on the VisaJourney dot com website. From what I've read there, it sounds pretty easy. HTH :)

Thank you very much! That site is very informative. It answered a lot of my questions and quelled some of my worries. Thanks again. :)