experience with requesting a case status referral

Gkhan

Registered Users (C)
RD: 4/10/01, ND: 4/28/01, FP: 6/02

Hello Friends:

Want to share my calling experience about getting a case status referral.

Called on 1/23/04 and spoke to the CSR. A polite guy who mentioned that according to his information, dates for TSC still 4/1/2001 (Site not updated yet as AILA information preceeds USCIS dates). Explained my situation to him and told that receipt date prior to 4/16/01. He mentioned that even if the dates are so, they cannot make a case status referral before 30 days have passed and no decision have been made (I was the least pleased with these remarks as he was saying that a case status referral can be made only after the INS dates are beyond the receipt date and 30 more have passed). I asked him to connect me to a 2nd tier officer and he stated that he can't do that as the response is going to be the same. I did express my frustration and he finally connected me to one.

The 2nd tier officer was a lady who appeared more frustated that I was in answering my questions. Told me that they honor the receipt date but can't make a referral before the INS dates move to after receipt date. No mention about the 30 day period.

Called the attorney and they said the same thing about case status referral-the 30 day stuff.

I am planning to contact the senator's office as soon as the dates move on th official website.

Gkhan.

I made a case status referral yesterday with USCIS after really advocating my case. The CSR basically refused to take it. But I insisted and the CSR subsequently connected me to the Immigration officer. The immigration officer at NCSC was really not in a mood to take a case referral. He told me that he will only make a case referral after the dates on the official website are at least 30 days beyond the receipt notice date. After a long discussion and persistently but politely advocating my case, he finally made a case status referral. We'll see what happens.

My friend from CSC had the experience with case status referral which he filed but didn't hear about it in 30 days. So he called again and they said that they have no record of his case status referral. So another referral was made and again no answer in 30 days. He called USCIS again and they gave him the fax # of CSC and he started faxing a request to expedite his case on a daily basis. His case was finally transferred to local office and he has been scheduled for an interview.

Let's hope for the best. If anybody has a receipt date before 4/16/01, I recommend that you make an immediate case status referral. Be polite but persistent and insist on talking to the immigration officer. Also waste no time in contacting the senator/congressman's office.

Gkhan.

I think that the 30 day waiting period is BS. I think the experience described in this thread is important.
I dont think only the "action committee" should get all the important stickys. :eek:

All the very best to you.

Gkhan, I can imagine your feelings now. Please type and sign up a letter explaining your situation, provide proof of your 485 receipt notice, drive up to your local Senator's office and camp out there till they contact INS. All the best to you.