expedited extension for 1st time visitors?

raga

Hi,

My parents arrived from India today and have been authorized to stay for only a month at the port of entry. I would like to apply for an extension of their stay (we had originally planned on them staying for 6 months, and they have a 10 year multiple entry visa). I had already planned out a lot of trips and activities based on this assumption.

Since this is their first visit to the US, is it harder for them to get an extension? They also have an open ticket that is valid for 6 months. Is the fact that their ticket is open likely to cause any problems?

Also, how long does the process normally take? (I would probably be applying in the San Jose office, if that helps). I seem to recall reading on the INS webpages that it may take upto 45 days for the application to be processed. Is this number typical? Is there any way I could expedite the process, since their original I-94 expires in a month from today (Nov 23). Would getting an appointment with an Immigration Official help and can I file the application in person or does it have to be mailed in?

What sort of supporting documents would I need to file alongwith the application for extension?

Finally, both their names are not correct on the I-94s. Is this going to cause a problem? Do I need to request this to be changed as well with the application to extend?

Thanks in advance and please point out any other relevant tips/tricks as well.

Raga

how do you

I want to apply for extension too for my parents.

How do you know that we need to apply at San Jose.

I thought that we had to apply to Laguna Niguel.

Please provide me more information on this route of applying for extension at San Jose and keep the board posted if you inquire more on it.

I too filed for an extension to my parents on Nov 12th. I got the receipt on 21 st and it was stated that the processing takes between 28 days and 30 days. The processing dates are current as per processing times on 11/15/02. So, we are hoping that we might hear something before 30 days. I-94 expires on Dec 28th. They got a six month stamping at SFO airport on June.

You need to apply for extension at Laguna Niguel. Download the form I-539 and it contains all the information.
Apply for the extension immediately.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Did you send your parent's original I-94s with the application or just a copy? The form seems to indicate we need to send the original, but I have seen conflicting reports.

Yes, I did send the original I-94s. Keep a copy of I-94 (front and back) with you. I followed the directions in I-539 form and not by the conflicting reports.