Expedited/emergency passports: commercial services

rwsh

Registered Users (C)
As we move from one state of post 9/11 chaos (current naturalization processes) to another (passport applications), it might be worth sharing some data on the commercial passport services that are available. As I understand it, there are four primary ways to get a passport;

1. Normal via post office or equivalent
2. Expedited via post office or equivalent
3. “Emergency” via nearest passport agency
4. Commercial service that also uses passport agency but saves you the hassle

I am pretty sure that for (3) and (4), you need proof of travel (maybe for (2) also ??????)

I have heard of two such commercial agencies that some posters might want to check out. I AM NOT ENDORSING OR ADVERTISING EITHER.

CIBT was used by the major US Corporation that I used to work for www.us.cibt.com/home.aspx

www.arushpassport.com/ was used by another poster on this site (jaxguy1).

Any others that people know of? How much do they typically charge?

You don't need proof of immediate travel for an plain "expedited" passport. If you pay the "expediting" fee, you get expedited service.

Up until the big rush, it took a week or two (about 10 days for each of my wife and my passports (last July and November respectively) and 16 days for my daughter, but they demanded an additional document so the 16 days includes a round trip letter (last June)). It takes longer now, it seems.

Use post office or the agency but I would probably not pay anyone extra. Some places in NY charge as much as 300 for a 2-3 day service, none less than 200; this is rediculous. There is one that comes up on google search first says it's 179 for one day they say their website hasn't been updated, sounds like bait and switch to me. My 2 cents.

From experience, if you don't need your passport immediately (as in within a month), use the expedited service. It's reliable and you get your passport in a reasonable amount of time. For most people, this should work. I wouldn't recommend the regular processing because there's just something about letting that naturalization certificate go for 3+ months when you just got it...

If you live in or close to a city that has a passport agency and need to travel within a month, using the agency is fairly painless (wife had to do it). As long as you have an appointment, it's a breeze. If you don't have an appointment, it's a nightmare.

When making the appointment, a couple of things to consider:

1) Call late at night so that you can use the automated scheduling system.

2) When it asks you if you're travelling within 14 days, JUST SAY YES. The reason for this is because the system is not built for folks who have to wait to get a nat. cert. before they can apply. You can only make an appointment 14 days in advance and I'd recommend making the appoint 13 days in advance. They fill up quickly.

3) Just make sure the appointment date is within 14 days of travel. Take evidence with you.

4) Most agencies open at 7AM. If you make an appointment for 7 or 730 AM, you'll be out in time to get to work, etc.

I have a slightly different take on this. If you are cost conscious, then it makes sense to apply via routes 1-3.

However, many have waited years and spent 1000s to get their US passport. Might as well spend a couple of hundred bucks more and get it in 2-4 days, rather than wait weeks (normal or expedited). In the grand scheme of things the $200 is not that much. However, if you are one of the unfortunate whose travel plans end up getting delayed, or worse, application is lost somewhere in the protracted application process, the stress and sleepless nights will definately cost you more.

I recently applied for expedited passport for my daughter and son, and it came back in 22 days, including posting.

i called after 10 and 19 days, the person answering the call was really nice and told me, what stage it is in and when i should expect it.

i sent it by registered mail and tracked it to them. on my second call, they told me, what the tracking number is by which they are sent it that day.