Expedited Citizenship - What Uncle Sam wants Uncle Sam Gets

solasoy

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

There is a saying in my language which roughly translates as follows; "Not all the fingers in one's hand are equal". I came across this interesting article on Tanith Belbin, a Ice Dance participant at the ongoing winter olympic games in Torino. The article excerpt details her path to US citizenship which I think is quite interesting. Goes to show what lengths Uncle Sam will go through to get you if he really wants you - such as changing the law on your behalf. Enjoy!!!

solasoy

PD: Feb 4, 2005
Fingerprint: Mar 12, 2005
Interview: July 25, 2005
Oath: Feb 9, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A native of Canada, Belbin was ineligible to represent the U.S. at the 2002 Olympic Winter Games because she was not yet an American citizen, and early this season, it looked like she and Agosto would miss out on Torino as well. But on December 31, 2005, the day after President George W. Bush signed Appropriations Bill HR-3010 into law, Belbin became a U.S. citizen, eligible for the Olympic Games. An amendment attached to that bill allowed Belbin to take advantage of changes to immigration rules that have been implemented since she began her efforts to procure U.S. citizenship. Belbin hails from Kirkland, Que., but has lived in the United States since 1998, when she was 13. In Nov. 2000, she was approved for an EB-1 visa, which is given to individuals considered "aliens of extraordinary ability." She did not receive her green card until July 2002. That year, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) changed the rules, allowing EB-1s to apply for their green card and visa at the same time. Had this policy been in effect when Belbin began the process, she would have been eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship by the end of 2005 (there is a mandatory waiting period of five years between the time a person obtains a green card and when he or she becomes eligible to apply for citizenship). Senator Carl Levin (D-Mich) introduced the amendment, which would allow the new rules to apply to those, like Belbin, who began their naturalization process before the July 2002. The bill passed on Dec. 21 and was signed by Bush on December 30. Belbin took her citizenship test and was sworn in on December 31, and is now a dual citizen of the U.S. and Canada.

I've already told all my friends that I'm gonna become an Olympic figure skater. Along with a 1447b lawsuit, that seems to be the only way to clear my name check.

That is nothing new...this method has been in existance for while.

Read article from the following website...
http://www.allanwernick.com/articles/synd_2002_03_03.htm

A private bill is an act of Congress granting permanent residence or U.S. citizenship to an individual. It’s a law with your name on it. Just like any other piece of federal legislation, it must pass both the House of Representatives and the Senate, and then the president must sign it. During the past year, Congress passed less than 20 private immigration bills. Years ago, private bills were more common. Then, in the 1980s, the FBI caught some members of Congress taking bribes to push private bills. After that, private bills got much more scrutiny.

Congress is most likely to pass a bill for you if you have exhausted all your other remedies. In other words, you’ve done what you can to get a green card, but the law doesn’t give you a way out. An example might be a person with a minor criminal record that makes him or her ineligible for permanent residence. Suppose the person with the criminal record is the parent of a young U.S. citizen child and is married to a U.S. citizen. Add to that scene some special factor, like the child is a sports star or has a serious medical condition, and you might have a sympathetic case.

The first thing you need to do to get a private bill passed for you is to get a member of Congress to introduce it. You don’t apply to Congress for a private bill. Your representative must do that.

While few undocumented immigrants are likely to get private bills, I’d like to see more people try. If members of Congress hear about all the sympathetic cases there are out there without remedy, maybe they’ll act to change the laws.

Bottom line is, if you have enough money, your options are a whole lot more. This does not necessarily guarantee success, but it can take you a long way.
Just the way life is

solasoy

sobelle said:
And we thought in this promised land the law was the same for everybody. Boy was I wrong!!!! :confused:

I guess everyone is equal here in the land of liberty, however some are more equal than others.

JoeF said:
Section 518(a) of the law states:
So, the bill was signed into law on Dec. 30, on Dec. 31 Belbin applied for citizenship, and on Jan 1, this provision was deleted again...
What an interesting piece of law...

OMG! unbelievable!

JoeF said:
Section 518(a) of the law states:
"(g)(1) The continuous residency requirement under subsection (a) may be reduced to 3 years for an applicant for naturalization if--
`(A) the applicant is the beneficiary of an approved petition for classification under section 204(a)(1)(E);
`(B) the applicant has been approved for adjustment of status under section 245(a); and
`(C) such reduction is necessary for the applicant to represent the United States at an international event."

The fact that this was a private bill is made clear by section (b):
"(b) The amendment made by subsection (a) is repealed on January 1, 2006."

So, the bill was signed into law on Dec. 30, on Dec. 31 Belbin applied for citizenship, and on Jan 1, this provision was deleted again...
What an interesting piece of law...

I'm just curios, if Albert Einstein became an American citizen (I'm ashamed, I have to admit I don't know if he was naturalized as an American or not?!?) did he wait 3 or 5 years after Green Card to apply :D