• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

evidence of support

kirwana

Registered Users (C)
hey please assist me on whats required for this evidence of support?
whta exactly to they want ?bank statement from arelative in the states?
or my bank statement?
am really gratefull guys,
am waiting

You need 1 of next 3 things:

1. Bank statement that you have enough money on your account according to Poverty Guidelines (125% amount according to number of family members)
2. I-134 form if you can find any sponsor from the States
3. Legaly statement that you have job waiting for you in the USA

Just a small correction. You only need to prove you have enough funds for the 100% of the poverty line for all the members of your family. 100% for DV, 125% for family based.

one more thing , it's better The job offer describe the job title and payment/week or /year , it’s recommended the company recorded to the yellow pages or you get license document , that’s helped me when I did my interview , the main target of the Avidence of support to insure that you will not become with the wellfair system in USA

Good luck
=====

waiting to travel
8-2008 got the Visa :)
7-2008 interview
5-2008 medical papers
5-2008 receive acceptant from KCC
6-2007 send to KCC
5-2007 Received pakage from KCC

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a small correction. You only need to prove you have enough funds for the 100% of the poverty line for all the members of your family. 100% for DV, 125% for family based.
I don't know that, what is your source of information?
At the bottom of the Poverty Guidelines page you can find:
When processing immigrant visa cases subject to the Affidavit of Support (I-864) requirement under INA 212(a)(4)(C), posts must use the figures in the column on the right (125% of poverty guidelines) as the minimum income that a petitioner and/or a joint sponsor must demonstrate, or the column on the left (100%) for an active member of the U.S. Armed Forces sponsoring his orher spouse or children.

You answered it yourself. The guideline you quoted is for I-864 (family based), where for DV we must use I-134. This has been answered many times, I also found and understood it better from previous posts.

OK, we understand it in 2 different ways.
Is somewhere there info that says: DV Poverty Guidelines are... (or whatever that would make it clear for DV cases?)
If there is it would help us as well, we are going on self sponsoring.

Edited:
OFFTOPIC - @mak1z, are you really here since 2002.? I mean... 6 years... or its just a system error?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, last attempt to answer. In the following link, last question, you can see that for I-134, you should use 100% of the poverty line.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3182.html#income

And in the following link in "Other Immigrant Categories - When an I-134 May be Needed" question, you can see that for DV cases, you should use I-134

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

Now combine the abovementioned two and we conclude that for DV cases, we use I-134 which requires funds of 100% of the poverty line.

Finally, actually yes, I have been a member since 2002, when I first applied for DV :)

Can i ask, what job can i apply before i interview so i can prove to the officer i have a job waiting for me in US? I'm working in IT. Please guide! I don't have sufficient amount of money, and no support. So the only thing i can do is apply a job.

When i went to the interview, i got to know that no body was ask to prove that he/she has a job offer, though i used education requirement.

I don't know what you used for the qualification being it education or occupation, but one thing i know for sure is that you will not be asked such question. You do not need to have sufficient money. That is why you need to get a sponsor to provide you with the Affidavit of Support.
GOOD LUCK

You need affidavit of support

Can i ask, what job can i apply before i interview so i can prove to the officer i have a job waiting for me in US? I'm working in IT. Please guide! I don't have sufficient amount of money, and no support. So the only thing i can do is apply a job.

You do not need to prove on your day of interview that you have a job offer in the U.S.

You also don't have to worry about your insufficient amount of money but as for the support you need to get it.
The officer will ask you to provide the support so try and talk it out with someone in the U. S. to provide you with that support.

I don't have anyone i know who can support me in US, can i ask, if a person agree to tell the officer to support me(which is just fake support), would he get any risk?

...You only need to prove you have enough funds for the 100% of the poverty line for all the members of your family. 100% for DV, 125% for family based.

I just called the Embassy few mins ago and this is what they told me:

- Poverty Guidelines are not for DV category, thats why DV is not mentioned enywhere around it, otherwords - there is no amount defined as a DV evidence of support, not per person, not per number of family members.

- The consul is the one who will finally say YES or NO for your GC.

If NO - you can have $1.000.00 but you can't have GC
If YES - you can have only printed e-mail or post mail of someone from US saying he will help you if you need it. If consul himself thinks that you should have some money on account he would tell you that and accept that statement latter, in a few days.

I'm not taking out the conclusions right now, that's what the guy from the Embassy told me.

To : xeg

Is this mean that as we are winner for DV 2009 we do not have to fill and bring Affidavit of Support form I-134

He told me that if consul thinks that someone is not for GC no I-134 or anything else will help him. That's not a plus.
If he decides that you're the one for GC and you have I-134 thats all you need but if you don't have I-134 or job in States you can still go even with a peace of paper your friend or relative sent you.

I just called the Embassy few mins ago and this is what they told me:

- Poverty Guidelines are not for DV category, thats why DV is not mentioned enywhere around it, otherwords - there is no amount defined as a DV evidence of support, not per person, not per number of family members.

- The consul is the one who will finally say YES or NO for your GC.

If NO - you can have $1.000.00 but you can't have GC
If YES - you can have only printed e-mail or post mail of someone from US saying he will help you if you need it. If consul himself thinks that you should have some money on account he would tell you that and accept that statement latter, in a few days.

I'm not taking out the conclusions right now, that's what the guy from the Embassy told me.
You're right, the poverty guidelines are officially not for DV. However, it's best clue that we have. Yes, the consul is the one making the decision. However, he cannot just say yes and no however he likes. If you have the amount of money that is listed in the poverty guidelines and you fulfill all other requirements, then it's quite unlikely that he will deny you. If you have less money, it also depends on how well you speak English, your job experience and your education. If he thinks that you don't have enough money to support yourself, then he will require you to get an affidavit of support. Some accept an informal letters, others want the I-134. However, if you have your interview late in the fiscal year, you better have everything ready by the time of the interview in order not to cause any further delays.

One more time: you do not need an I-134 if you have enough money and/or a job offer. If you don't have as much money as listed, you might need one or you might not.... but in that case it makes sense to prepare for the "worst case"

Kirwana

Did you reschedule your interview? I recall you have one of the lowest case numbers for Africa in DV 2008.

you may not need evidence of support

Am a DV 2008 winner and have already gone through the interview and obtained my visa in Nairobi Kenya. Iwas not asked for any evidence of support someone had memtioned on this forum that singles may not need eveidence of support and i thus associated my good luck to that. pliz try to inquire from your contry's US embassy whether it is needed. all the best

Duration of processing at the Embassy

Hello,

Congratulations to all who got the 2 NL.

My interview is on 9th October, I need help to know how long the interview takes, my boss urgently requires me to travel by 4th October, i have convinced him to postpone for a week. I need to know how long it will take at the Nairobi Embassy before the passport is returned.

Thanks