Evidence for Interview... Worried about utilities

cdnchris

Registered Users (C)
Well, the interview is just over three weeks away and I have to say I'm sort of nervous. We've been married for over three years and it's real but I guess I'm worried about what evidence to take because I have to actually show them it's real. We have bank accounts, loans, life insurance policy, apartment lease, car ownership and so on as evidence. I also have a lot of stuff showing us together when we lived in Canada (bank accounts, loans, credit cards, phone bills, tax returns and even the application for her Canadian residence card). I don't even know if they'd accept stuff from Canada, but we do have it, plus it's the only we can show we were together during those couple years.

I'm a little concerned with other things, though. The utilities are the big issue. We were living at her parents for a few months because we were unsure what we were going to do (we thought we would be going back to Canada), so other than the bank account there's really nothing else during that time that I can show them. In April we moved in to our own place. We both signed the lease. I set up all the utilities so at first they were under my name only since they said they need her SSN (which I don't know, I barely know mine). Eventually, a couple months down the road (I'm lazy), I added her name to the accounts. Phone bill has her name for a few months back. The problem is that despite me bugging them the electric company hasn't put her name on the bill, and the cable company spelt her name wrong on the bill for a few months despite my nagging, only eventually just getting it right with the last one. So with these bills her name really only goes back a few months.

Is any of this going to be an issue? Will it be okay since I do have other things, even going back to Canada? As well, while we have a lot of wedding photos, we don't take many pictures. We have a few of us while we were dating, and also some recent trips, but honestly we don't have that many. I guess I'm also a little concerned about that.

Don't stress it. It sounds like you have plenty of evidence. I didn't have any utility bills in both our names at interview. I mean, who the hell gets their utility bills in both people's names anyway? My guess is only people who want it for evidence for USCIS! So its a totally artificial situation.

All the joint bank account/insurance/lease stuff you have is exactly what I showed them, my IO showed only a cursory interest in the stuff as well. I think you'll be fine. The most important thing is that you're in a real marriage, that's what they're looking for. Good luck!! :D

I don't think you will have a problem. You have everything that is needed. Actually more than you need. The lease agreement, bank accounts, car note is good enough. It looks like you will be getting a 10 year green card since marriage is over 2 years old. I wish you the best. DON'T BE STRESSED, BE BLESSED!!!

dr_lha said:
Don't stress it. It sounds like you have plenty of evidence. I didn't have any utility bills in both our names at interview. I mean, who the hell gets their utility bills in both people's names anyway? My guess is only people who want it for evidence for USCIS! So its a totally artificial situation.

All the joint bank account/insurance/lease stuff you have is exactly what I showed them, my IO showed only a cursory interest in the stuff as well. I think you'll be fine. The most important thing is that you're in a real marriage, that's what they're looking for. Good luck!! :D

Utility bills! These are just about impossible to change or to even start off putting in more than one person's name. A while before our interview, I called the utility co. in CA to add my wife to my property's utility bill ---- they agreed, but it never happened. Statements still come to me in my name only.

Also, for the apartment we rent in TX (while going to school here), the utility co. would not even allow it ---- we had to choose one name. So we put that one in my wife's name and brought both utility bills to the interview ---- the CA one in my name, and the TX one in hers. What a mess! Don't even worry about it.

pianoplayer said:
Also, for the apartment we rent in TX (while going to school here), the utility co. would not even allow it ---- we had to choose one name.
Exactly - why on Earth would you have both names on Utility bills? Makes no sense to me. Only one person can pay the bill at a time after all.

Hi,
With a three year old marriage still intact, the interview will merely be a formality. Don't stress yourself over it.

Bring whatever you have

Chris,

You shouldn't be stressed by not having any utilities. :) The key for USCIS is to ensure that your marriage is a legitimate one, so the burden falls on you. From reading your post, you have more than enough proof. You have lived in Canada together and had other joint responsibilities there, if you have them, bring them to snuff any crap from USCIS. :rolleyes:

In the US, whatever you have is fine, because you have been married for a longer period than most people who apply for greencard for spouse. My estimation, a large percentage is people have been married for less than 2 yrs. :cool:

I wish you all the best and take whatever you have in your possession, more evidence and less stress from USCIS.... :D

Yeah, I don't understand the joint names on the utilities either. Back in Canada her name was on the phone bill but that's only because I added her to the account so the could call them in case there were any problems with the phone while I was at work. She wasn't on any of the other utilities. But I don't know anybody, other than people on this forum, who do it. I just figured it was something they needed here.

Anyways, I feel better. I do have other stuff but wasn't sure how much weight they put on the utilities, so I was freaking out. I'm understanding more how my wife felt when we went through the process for her in Canada. I only hope our interview is as painless, or at least, near as painless as hers was (in and out in under 10 minutes)

Thanks again! :)

yea i wouldnt stress it. My wife and I have been married for almost 3 years and we had our interview earlier this month (Charlotte NC). It was a breeze, lasting less than 10 minutes, I gave her as evidence our lease, phone bill, car insurance, car title and bank account. She didnt ask for anythin else, simply stamped my passport and we were out of there.