• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Evening (Shift) Secondary School of General Education in Russia. DOES IT QUALIFY?

LotsaQuestions

Registered Users (C)
Hello! Could anyone help me with my question please?! My relative got selected for the DV-2011. She's only got the Secondary Education Certificate that says that it certifies that she completed studies at Evening (Shift) Secondary School of General Education in Russia. Does it qualify???
She studied for 7 years in school in a village in Russia, got her transcript (not a full degree). She does not have it with her at the moment, it was lost or it stayed at the other school or something. She does not have it.
Then she moved to a city, where she completed the 3 years in that evening school in the 1970s and got her Secondary Education Certificate when she was 37 years old.
PLEASE, could you give me your advice on that, I am at my wits end! I am not sure if it qualifies for the requrements of the DV-2011.
THANK YOU!!!

If it's secondary education, which is the same as high school diploma (or 12 years of study), then YES - it does qualify. You just have to go back to that school/institution/whatever and ask for a diploma of graduation, otherwise you won't have any proof of you having secondary education.

Yes, secondary education certificate is the same as high school diploma, but people studied for only 10 years at that time, not 12. You see, she got her transcripts from the shool that she attended for 7 years, then years later she took these transcripts to another school, where they studied in the evenings, and completed 3 degrees of school. That enabled her to get her Secondary Education Certificate from the Evening (Shift) Secondary School of General Education in Russia. What bothers me is that it says Evening (Shift), could that be a problem? Also, the fact that the education was for 10 years and a big gap (almost 20 years) between enrolling and completion.

Could anyone please advise on that matter? I do really need your help. Thanks!

It doesn't matter how long it took her to get the degree, important is that she has it. Its the same situation for Germany, the degree someone get after 10 year of secondary school is equivalent to a US high school degree.

Thank you VERY much for your kind answers! The situation is getting a little more clear. Now, I still have concerns about Evening (Shift) school. Does anyone else have the same experience? It's when you go to work during the day and study at night at school. My concern is that amount of hours students spend in the classrom for the curriculum of that school may not be the same is in a regular day-time School, but less. Any thoughts?

If her certificate is considered to be an equivalent of a high school degree in Russia then she will be fine. It's as simple as that.

No. It doesn't qualify.

PS
But you will be asked for transcript. And if number of hours will be more or less equivalent to a regular school you will be accepted.
That's called primary school.

PPS Only education is not enough. She has to have worked 2 years in one of job zones: 4 or 5.

Shut up an go there where you came from. You're that dumb that you not even understand the rules of the lottery.

It's not true what he is writing. To qualify you need either a High Scholl degree or higher (or equivalent) OR you can also qualify with work experience that need to be in a certain job zone and SVP range!

Native English Speakers! Please help! How do you understand this statement: education including full 10 years study ??
Does it mean that it should last for full 10 year or does it mean it should last for 10 years and be full time?
Thanks a lot!

^^
Well, put like this it looks strange but the only way one can interpret it is as in: the education should last 10 (full) years. If you put the sentence in context it would make more sense.

i think it means education for 10 full years, but doesn't mean it have to be consistent 10 years.
So, if she had 7 full years, and her evening education can be or is considered as 3 full years, she should be fine. If she has a diploma saying she completed 10 years of education, i don't see a problem. but hey, it's my personal opinion. Why wouldn't you send an email to KCC and ask them that question? or even call them?

KCC just sent me the same wording as in the instructions for the selectees
That's what the visa issuing post at my location answered.
PS. That's exactly what was answered (in Eng)

Last edited by a moderator:
What this means is that she should have COMPLETED at least 10 academic years of schooling. It doesn't have to be continuous. it's as simple as that.