Can you please give me your opinion?

- PhD in theoretical physics from a good school;
- Four years research experience in a national lab while a PhD student ;
- Currently postdoc in another national lab;
- 14 articles in very good/excellent journals, first author of 11 of them;
- 49 citations;
- Talks and posters at conferences;
- University Award for best work in theor. physics while a student;
- Currently a Senior Fellow of an International Physics Organization.
- Will get about 9 letters.

I am looking forward for your feedback and advice.

Most of the time it is very, very hard to predict which way an NIW case will go.

Last edited by a moderator:
OR vs NIW

Lamonte, thanks for your comment.

After reading the decisions on petitions submitted for OR category, I think it is very hard to persuade the INS in the extraordinarity of the petitioner.

NIW, on the other hand, seems by far less pretentious... And therefore, easier to prove...? Am I wrong?

Leto

The NIW petition must show that national interest will adversely affected in the applicant is required to go through labor certification. That's the cornerstone of the whole thing. It doesn't matter how good the rest of your evidence is. Obviously this is very hard to prove and, from what I hear, increasingly more so. OR on the other hand only requires you to fit the set of formal criteria, even though it may be a more rigorous set. Processing times also should be considered, as they may vary rather wildly for EB-1 and EB-2, especially at VSC if I'm not mistaken.

It appears that NIW may be more difficult to prove. The standards are not as formal and clear as EB1-EA or EB1-OR. If you meet the very high objective criteria for the latter 2, you can get approved more easily than NIW. On the other hand, for NIW, you must meet some of the objective standards of EB1-EA and EB1-OR and also prove that you will serve national interest, which is far more subjective.

Leto,
I think you have pretty strong case. Go ahead to file EB-1(b) Outstanding Researcher. I had similar background three years ago and obtained I-140 approval through company sponsored EB-1(b)
Good luck