• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Establishing residency (OC09 winner)

Gabocha

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

I am just wondering, upon receiving the green card, how long would it take to establish residency? What are the requirements to maintain your standing as a permanent resident? How long can you spend outside the country, is this strictly defined or does it operate in a grey area?

Gearing up for a rather intense few weeks before the interview here in New Zealand. Might have to delay the appointment by a week.

Thanks!

Great, thankyou la1.

From what I can gather, despite what they say, trips shorter than 12 months do not need anything special done about them. I will have to enrol with selective service and continue to file tax returns should I need to leave the country, but when they reserve the right to decline you re-entry (with or without a permit), how often is this enforced?

I have also read on another website (immihelp), that the re-entry permit will only be provided to those who have a year's uninterrupted stay in the States. Is that the equivalent of "maintaining residency"?