Error on Plastic Card

Red Monk

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
We (Myself and my wife) received our plastic cards on 29th Dec. My wife\'s name has been totally messed up. Her first name has been made to be her middle initial, last name as first name and middle initial as her last name. I donno how they can get confused between these. Anyway, my questions are:

1) How do i get this rectified? I tried calling the number provided 214-3811423 but it is always engaged.

2) Should i pay the $ 110 fee for I-90 even though it was INS\' mistake?

Please reply..........

No Title

You will need to go to your local INS office and file a new I-90 to produce the corrected card. Take two photos with you (and passport, in case you need to get the I-551 extended).

You shouldn\'t have to pay anything because it was their error.

You need to file the I-90. Here is what to expect..

Hey everyone.
I would just like to narrate the experience that I had filing my I-90(name mispelt)
I had a case where my wife\'s name was mispelt(just one letter though), but its better to get the things fixed.
Anyway, we went to the INS office in Arlington, VA for filing the I-90. Although my wife\'s passpot had her correct name(after marriage, we got it endorsed on her PP), i had to return back as the INS officer demanded the Marriage certificate (for her correct name after marriage).
So please take a notarized copy of the paper that shows the correct name(birth certificate, marrieage certificate..any legal "acceptable " document that proves her name that you want on the card)
Regarding the fees -- The first time I went the lady said i have to pay the fees of 110US$(she was unfriendly as well).. the next time we went there was another officer and did not even ask for the fees. To avoid any hassels at a later stage.. I asked him if we needed to pay anything and he politly said that "its INS\'s Mistake..no fees is required". SO take your pick. YOu might want to keep your chequebook handy as they were only accepting personal cheques besides , M-orders, Cerified cheques. But this can be different for different offices.
Not to mention that the website says that they accept walk ins till 9:00am. even though we were there at 8:20AM - stood in the Q for 50 minutes and when reached the counter then we were not allowed. Also this had to happen when my wife is 7 months pregnent.
SO be prepared(take all the relevent documents & reach on time..) and hope you have a better experience then what i have had.

No Title

I have error on my plastic card. Can I apply for SSN while my I-90 application is being filed???

No Title

You should not go to the local INS office in all cases ... for example, in New York, the procedure for all cases except renewal of expiring greencards, is to submit your application by mail. Call the
NCSC (natl. cust. svc. center) for more details:1 (800) 375-5283

Replacing Cards for Other Reasons (Lost or Damaged Cards; Replacing Non-Expiring Cards Upon Reaching Age 14)

Complete Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, according to the instructions on the form. Submit the form, by mail, along with the materials described in the form instructions to the New York District Office at:

USINS New York District Office
Attention: I-90 Unit
26 Federal Plaza
New York, NY 10278

Following receipt of your application, INS will schedule an appointment for you to receive temporary proof of your resident status.
END QUOTE

Question for Kr9

Thanks for the info. on your previous post on how to submit I-90 in New York , actuallyy My son is now 14yo and I will mail the I-90 form , check for $25.00 , 3 pics , BUT GOT CONFUSED ON WEATHER TO SEND COPY ORORIGINAL GC ( his GC is valid for 10 years to come ).

would appreciate any information on WHAT to sent copy or originalof GC.

Thank you.

No Title

You probably need to send the original green card. But to be sure,
call the NCSC (natl. cust. svc. center):1 (800) 375-5283 The wait time for an operator to pick up is typically less than 5 minutes.