Entry Visa / SC / PIO / OCI for immediate travel

aztekbs

Registered Users (C)
I am going to be US naturalized citizen in couple of weeks.
I have travels plans to India immediately after that.

I do understand that US Passport can be obtained in a day or 2 using expediate service.

After obtaining US Passport, I would need to get either Entry Visa or PIO or OCI for travelling to India.

I also understand PIO or OCI would require SC (Surrender Certificate). Given that PIO or OCI take 3-4 weeks to 3-4 months and SC itself takes 3weeks, I was thinking of getting Entry Visa to India first and at a later date apply for OCI.

Does anyone know how quickly we can obtain entry visa ? I believe we need to use indian-visa website services but it does not state any processing timeslines for naturalized US citizens.

Also, do we need to have SC to apply/obtain entry visa?

I am hoping that some of you have already experienced this kind of a situation and hope to know what you did.

By the way, I am in NJ.

Thanks for your suggestions.

aztek,
If you are planning a trip immediately after your Naturalization, it is best to apply for entry visa. I don't belong to the NY region, but did this in DC.

SC/Renunciation must be done for Entry Visa application also. But it will be much easier to get it done along with Entry Visa. You will have to use the services or the outsourced firm that is described in the following CGI-NY page.
http://indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=200&partid=96&sub=sub2

They will accept both papers (SC/Renunciation and Entry Visa) and do the needful. If you can go in person to apply, it will be much easier. This way you can carry all required and additional documents and make sure you have given them all they need. Make sure you carry additional photocopies for documents that are to be submitted. Otherwise, they (Travisa) will do it at a "Nominal Rate":):) of $2.00 per page....

Some people have had good response times with their phone numbers... I had good responses via email to Travisa.

Overall, I would say, you should get the Entry Visa within a week or two. Again, Travisa will tell you how many days it will take for them to get you the Visa stamped. They have several status notification methods when the paperwork is getting processed.

Good luck

I second that. I did the Visa for my wife and received it within 1 week and yes they keep you notified with all the process which is much better system then OCI tracking.

aztekbs, I am in the same boat... I have to travel in 3 weeks, applied for OCI beginning this Sept. No traction yet... so will have to get the Entry visa.

Was advised by Travisa that for most the Entry visa takes 1 day, and at max this will take 4 days. Call them up... you will know the wait times for your region.

Thanks all for the replies.
balyan, please update us with your experience and timeline when you apply for entry visa / sc thru Travisa.

I still have my fingers crossed for the OCI, there is always hope. :) I have to tickets to travel during the first week of Nov; so will be using the Travisa on Oct 25th. Planning to drop off my application early Monday morning. Will update then...

Entry Visa/Surrender Certificate Time frame

Does anyone recently applied for Entry Visa/Surrender Certificate at Houston Consulate.
I applied mine through travisa and the status shows as the documents were sent to consulate on 10/6/10.

I have a trip to India 10 days and am not unsure if I will be able to get entry visa on time or not. Called travisa few times to see if they can expedite it but they say it is beyond there control..
Tried reaching Houston Consulate through phone but no luck talking to anyone.

Can anyone suggest me a course of action in case I don't receive it by next Monday or so..

I am in a similar situation. Very frustrating. Applied Entry Visa/Surrender Certificate on 10/11 in person. Been over 2 weeks, still waiting.

Have a trip in a week. No email responses. Forget a phone response, no one even picks up the phone.

Indian government bureaucracy at its best. If you are US citizen born in US, you get it in 2 days. But if you are Indian born US citizen it can take 3 weeks. Ridiculous.

HI Guys,

I am also in the same boat. Applied for Entry Visa at Houston for me, wife & son( US Born) along with SC on Sept 27th 2010. Online Status shows Consulate received it on Oct 4th. Its been 4 weeks no response. My son got his visa on Oct 21st but they did not send the Passport because they are waiting for our passports.
We will be traveling in two weeks from now (Nov 12th), don't know I will get it by then.

Its very frustrating, already made lot of plans in India to Visit temples/Places etc. Anybody any suggestions?

Waiting for Entry Visa

Hello There,

Has anyone applied Entry Visa in Houston and got the passport back recently. I have applied for my wife on October 24, 2010, I still didn't get the visa and passport back. We are traveling on December 3rd and I am getting tensed.

Here are the dates:

10-24-2010 : Sent Visa application
10-26-2010: Received by Travisa
11-04-2010: Received by Indian consulate

applied for visa (business) + SC on 11/4. Reached Travisa on 11/5, consulate on 11/15. Now the wait starts.