Entry for Canadians for job interview (B1/B2 needed?)

jack10901090

Registered Users (C)
I have a job interview with a reputed organization for this Friday with an invite letter and itinery. What is the best way to approach (GC is 2-3 years away) Do I need a B1/B2 to cross?

You will be requesting entry for the interview. You will be granted entry (or not) on B2 status . Cdns don't get and are not issued "visas".

Thanks for the reply and does B2 status means that the entry (2-3 days) will be equivalent to a B2 entry minus the physical stamp on my passport.
Would I need to go inside the building for filling any paperwork as it falls under B2 ? I submitted my old I94 on Nov 10 on the Canadian side in MI as I got laid off while my termination package has my last date as Dec 25'2019 (got regular pay)

Are there any grounds he can deny entry if I have all the paperwork (letter,airline tickets etc) in order?. Wanted to make sure I am following the right process.

when you handed in your previous I-94 they have a record of you leaving US, returning to Canada.
are you flying in for the interview or driving?
bring a copy of interview request letter/email, copy of hotel reservations/ rental car reservations, etc. in case they ask for it.
when the CBP asks for purpose of visit and length of stay, tell them for a job interview and how long your will be staying (a few hours or days), they will admit you on B2 status (business), very unlikely you will go to secondary inspection.
as long as you did not break any previous immigration rules, there should be no reason to deny entry.
they may ask a few questions to ensure you return to Canada after your interview, but very unlikely. be honest.

what do you mean by the comment "GC is 2-3 years away" in original post ?

Thanks (Amberleaf & NelsonA) for the above replies.

I surrendered my previous I 94 to the Canadian agent in November 2019.

I will carry a copy of all email transcripts with my prospective employer that includes the travel arrangements.

Since my significant other will be dropping me to the airport as we are driving to the border I could have said " I am just going to have this splendid weekend getway or go this museum or go shopping" in lieu of attending the interview as I read online elsewhere but will just state the facts.

Dont want any red flags when I will fill in the DS-260 form a couple of years from now...Just want that DS 260 to be as boring and uneventful for the consular processing...:)-))

Canadian citizens can visit the USA under B2 status to go for job interviews, no concerns. Be honest about your purpose of visit.

Canadians applying for AOS/GC through employment based sponsorship do not need to complete DS 260.
TN status directly to GC can be tricky.

Is your significant other a US citizen ?
Why do you think you need to complete DS 260 in the future?

I have a family petition in queue for the last 12 years through NVC-consular processing.

My significant other is Canadian as well.

What would be the equivalent of DS 260 be in that case that would go through all the t and c's of my past in order to get my GC in Canada as that may not change?

I wouldn't worry about any long-future GC process at this time. Focus.
Whatever forms you need at that time will be clearly explained to you.

Amerleaf and Neslon ,Thanks for the all the help and I did verbatim as how you advised. Drove with family and said meeting with prospective employer and had zero issues.Thanks for all the guidance.